Final Score: VCU 4, College of Charleston 3
Location: The Ballpark at Patriots Park (Charleston, SC)
Records: VCU 12-6 (0-0), Col. of Charleston (12-7)
The Short Story: VCU's baseball team rallied late to come from behind and defeat the College of Charleston 4-3 on Saturday afternoon. The Rams scored three runs in the top of the eighth to erase a 3-1 deficit.
- Jimmy Kerrigan was a perfect four-for-four at the plate, driving in a run and scoring another.
- Joining Kerrigan with multiple hits were shortstop Matt Davis and designated hitter Darian Carpenter.
- First baseman Cody Acker collected a hit and drove in two runs. The senior also scored a run in the Rams 3-run eighth inning rally.
- Logan Farrar reached base on a walk to leadoff the VCU eighth. One batter later, Darian Carpenter singled through the right side to put runners on first and second with one out.
- Brooks Vial started the game for the Rams, giving up three runs, one earned in 5.0 innings on the mound.
- Freshman Michael Dailey relieved Vial, picking up his first win of the season. Dailey threw 2.2 shutout innings to keep the Rams in the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Logan Farrar reached base on a walk to leadoff the VCU eighth. One batter later, Carpenter singled through the right side to put runners on first and second with one out.
- Kerrigan followed with a double down the left field line that just stayed fair to drive in Farrar. Carpenter was gunned down at the plate trying to tie the game at 3-3.
- The Cougars head coach was thrown out of the game after arguing that the ball was foul.
- Acker then singled through the left side, driving home Kerrigan who had advanced to third on the throw that beat Carpenter.
- After Acker stole second, third baseman Brody Cook singled up the middle, bringing home the senior for a 4-3 lead.
- Junior Matt Jamer pitched a scoreless frame in the bottom of the eighth to preserve the lead.
- In the ninth Sam Donko entered the game looking for his seventh save of the season. The junior worked out of a bases loaded jam to nail down the victory for the Rams.
- Three Rams collected multiple hits in the win.
OUT OF LEFT FIELD
- Kerrigan extended his hitting-streak to six games (all multi-hit games). His four-for-four day improved his team-high batting average to a stellar .406. He is tied with Acker for the team lead with 14 RBI's.
- VCU's three, four and five hitters combined to go 8-for-14 at the plate, scoring two runs and driving in one.
- "I'm really proud of the maturity our guys showed today, just staying the course throughout the game despite going down early. It was a big day for Jimmy Kerrigan at the plate. Cody Acker had a big two-out knock for us. The bullpen was on complete lockdown. Mike Dailey came in and really cranked through the middle part of the game for us, putting up zeros. Sam Donko has been an absolute workhorse for us all season. We have great faith and trust in him. I'm proud of the guys and am looking to get out there tomorrow and try to finish this weekend off with a win." – Head Coach Shawn Stiffler
- "We came out in pregame and made sure we got our energy up. Everybody was focused. We made sure we got our rest last night. Coaches really emphasized being energetic, especially early in the game and carrying that throughout. At the plate, our approach is not to swing at anything off speed and get ourselves out quickly. I didn't want to chase an off speed pitch and kill the rally. Acker got to second. I saw two curveballs to start my at-bat and let them go. That last pitch, I just tried to barrel up, hit something hard and get the run in." – Brody Cook
- "As a freshman, it's an honor enough to be able to start. Anything I can do to help this team win is really exciting. I just want this team to go far and to be a part of this. One thing about this team is we don't get complacent. We are definitely going to come out tomorrow looking to keep it going and get another sweep like last weekend." – Brody Cook
VCU will look to end their weekend with a series sweep of the Cougars on Sunday, March 20th. First pitch of game three is set for 1:00 P.M.