Final Score: VCU 9, Wagner 5
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 8-5 (0-0), Wagner 3-6 (0-0)
The Short Story: Plenty of offense was abound on Saturday afternoon, as the VCU Rams squared off against the Wagner Seahawks. Thanks to two RBI apiece from Jimmy Kerrigan and Cody Acker, the Black and Gold were able to take a 9-5 victory in the second game of a three-game set.
- Kerrigan had a solid day at the plate, going a team-best 3-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Acker's two RBI's came on two separate occasions, going 1-for-4 with a walk.
- Three other Rams (Logan Farrar, Matt Davis, and James Bunn) each recorded multiple hits, with Davis and Bunn each grabbing an RBI as well.
- Starting pitcher Brooks Vial tacked another win onto his record for the week, tossing 6.1 innings, scattering seven hits, giving up three runs, walking two, and striking out three.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams got things going in a hurry, as they put three runs up on the board in the bottom of the first. Starting off the fury was back-to-back singles by Brody Cook and Davis with one out.
- With two out in the bottom of the first, Kerrigan delivered his two RBI early by doubling down the left field line scoring both Cook and Davis.
- Following Kerrigan, Acker knocked a single to center, scoring Kerrigan to push the VCU lead to 3-0.
- Wagner responded in the top of the second, as Anthony Harrold struck Vial early with a leadoff double to start the inning. Phil Capra would help the Seahawks play carousel, as he would double two batters later to deliver the blow for Wagner, putting the score to 3-1.
- VCU found one more run in the bottom of the third, thanks to two runners reaching to begin the inning with a walk to Darian Carpenter and a single from Kerrigan. After a pitching change, Acker would chop one up the middle, with the play getting Kerrigan out at second but scoring Carpenter from third, putting the score 4-1.
- The Seahawks put up another run in the top of the fourth, as a single from John Lynn scored Anthony Godino, bringing Wagner back within two, 4-2.
- The Rams wanted to part of a close game, as they responded in the fourth with three more runs, one the old-fashioned way from David with a single up the middle to score Mitchel Lacey.
- The other two Rams runs of the inning came with a failed pickoff attempt from the catcher trying to throw out Farrar at third and sailing the throw into left field, and David scoring on a wild pitch a few pitches later.
- Wagner came back with a vengeance in the top of the seventh inning, as Vial was relieved by Matt Jamer. The Seahawks took advantage of the new lefty and put up three runs in the inning, highlighted by two RBI doubles off the bats of Ben Ruta and Anthony Pecora. The three-run inning put the score at 7-5 in favor of VCU.
- The Rams pumped their lead back up in the bottom of the seventh, as they scored two to push the lead to 9-5. Carpenter scored on a wild pitch after reaching via a walk, and an RBI single from Bunn.
- Sam Donko came in and grabbed his fourth save of the season, after pitching the final 2.1 innings, giving up no hits or runs.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Vial now ties teammate Sean Thompson, who pitched in yesterday's game, in wins this season with three.
- Donko has taken the team lead in earned run average with a 2.25 ERA now on the season.
- The win today gives the Rams their eighth win of the season in 13 games, topping their clip from 2014-15 when they began their year at 6-7 through their first 13.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Sunday, March 13 when they play game three of the current three-game set with Wagner at The Diamond. First pitch is now set for 12 p.m., and has changed from it's original time of 1 p.m.