Final Score: UNCW 11, VCU 4
Location: Brooks Field (Wilmington, N.C.)
Records: VCU 3-3 (0-0), UNCW 6-0 (0-0)
The Short Story: VCU went to war against former CAA competitor, the University of North Carolina-Wilmington. Despite the Rams favorable record against the Seahawks historically, VCU couldn't hold down the undefeated UNCW offense and dropped their final game of the weekend by a score 11-4.
- Darian Carpenter led all Rams by reaching base three times throughout the game, going 1-for-3. He lashed a single, walked, and was hit by a pitch. He also scored once along the way.
- Seniors Cody Acker and Jimmy Kerrigan each reached base twice. Acker received two free passes while Kerrigan had a single and a walk. Kerrigan chipped in with an RBI while both players scored a run.
- Freshman Zac Ching did his part on offense, supplying a 1-for-2 day with a single, walk, and a team-leading two RBI.
- Starting pitcher Matt Oxner pitched only 3.0 innings, four hits, three earned runs, walking two and striking out one. The loss went to Jonathan Ebersole, who came on in relief of Oxner in the fourth.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Steven Linkous got the ball rolling for UNCW in the bottom of the first, reaching base on a bunt single up the third base line. He immediately stole second, and scored on a fielding error one batter later to make the score 1-0 early.
- Nick Feight sent a fly ball to left field for a sac fly to tack on one more run in the bottom of the first, giving the Seahawks a 2-0 lead.
- The Rams responded in the top of the third after getting some runners on, as Brody Cook lined one off the glove of UNCW starting pitcher Taylor Hyssong. Cook would be thrown out at first, but Carpenter would score from third to cut the lead to 2-1 UNCW.
- Ching would deliver a base hit through the right side of the infield right after Cook's at-bat to bring in two runs and give the Rams a 3-2 lead.
- UNCW took the lead back in the bottom of the second, as they got another sac fly, this time from Kennard McDowell, then an RBI single from Steven Linkous. The Seahawks grabbed a 4-3 lead at that point.
- After reaching base with a single to lead off the top of the fourth inning, Walker Haymaker came around to score in the inning, crossing the dish on a ground out by Kerrigan to tie the game at 4-4.
- With two outs in the bottom of the fourth, Linkous stuck again with his third single of the day and his second RBI, scoring one to put the Seahawks up 5-4.
- UNCW would add one more in the bottom of the fourth, just one batter later as Brian Mims poked an RBI single to right center to extend the Seahawks lead to 6-4.
- The Seahawks broke the game open in the bottom of the seventh, pushing the score to 10-4 by collecting four runs on four hits, three of those being RBI singles.
- UNCW didn't go down without adding one more, once again off a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the eighth to take an 11-4 lead, in which would stay until the final out.
FROM THE BULLPEN
- Cody Acker highlighted the strong outfield defense on the day with an athletic diving catch.
- The Seahawks sent seven different guys to the mound throughout the game to match with VCU's five pitchers, combining for 12 different guys to toe the rubber during the contest.
- Both teams stayed out of the double play ball, with each team only turning one apiece.
- The Rams had the bases loaded three times, failing to convert any offense at an 0-for-3 rate.
VCU will return to action as the calendar flips on Tuesday, March 1 when they travel to Longwood University. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m.