Nov 02, 2015
- Score: Black 0, Gold 3
- Records: Black (1-1), Gold (1-1)
- Location: The Diamond – Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: The Gold Team earned a 3-0 shutout victory in Game 2 of VCU Baseball's annual World Series on Friday afternoon. Despite the win, the Gold team lost the series by a run differential of two. The Black team enjoyed celebratory banana splits following the series victory.
How It Happened
- The Gold Team jumped out to two run lead in the bottom of the second on single by designated hitter Nick Rabat.
- Catcher Brett Hileman added an RBI in the bottom of the sixth to make it a 3-0 Gold advantage.
- Matt Oxner toed the rubber for the Gold Squad, striking out and stranding two in 4.0 shutout innings.
- Matt Jamer followed with two shutout innings before Hileman picked up the save in the seventh.
- "Both teams pitched well today. The defense was outstanding particularly in the outfield. Offensively we didn't do too much. We had a couple of chances to put some runs across in the middle innings, but had some bad at-bats. Getting out to that five-run cushion yesterday really helped us get the series win. We lost this game, but the guys should be proud that they won the series. It's a good to end the fall with two well-played games. I'm glad we took the series and I'm looking forward to the spring." - Coach M.L.Morgan.
- "I thought it was a well played series on the pitching side, with shutouts each day. A lot of great individual performances and some really good defensive plays. Our outfield was outstanding in both games on both sides. The stole a bunch of outs and allowed our pitchers to just go out there and throw strikes. Offensively, the guys did a good job of battling. Overall, it was a great way to finish up the fall." – Coach Steve Hay