- Score: VCU 2, Fordham 1
- Records: VCU (28-22, 10-10 A-10), Fordham (21-27, 12-8 A-10)
- Location: The Diamond inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village – Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Senior Heath Dwyer twirled seven innings of brilliant baseball to lead the VCU baseball team to a crucial 2-1 win over visiting Fordham on Friday afternoon. Dwyer racked up nine strikeouts in his seven-plus innings of work, while scattering nine hits and not allowing a single unearned run. Junior Cody Acker had the game's lone RBI and made the play of a game, throwing out the game-tying run at home in the top of the eighth.
How It Happened
- The Rams got on the board in the second when senior Vimael Machin led off with a single to right, followed by a base knock from sophomore Brett Hileman. Two batters, later Acker brough in the game's first run with a single to right to score Machin and give VCU a 1-0 advantage.
- Dwyer would take over from there, keeping Fordham scoreless for the first five frames.
- VCU would threaten in the bottom of the fifth with outs, when Daane Berezo was hit by a pitch and moved to third after stealing second and advanced on a throwing error. However, Fordham would stifle the threat and the game remained at 1-0 in favor of the Black & Gold.
- Once again, VCU would threaten with two outs, this time in the bottom of the sixth. Hileman reached on an infield single and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Freshman Nick Ward would pinch run and advance to third on a passed ball. He eventually scored on a fielding error by Fordham to give the Black & Gold a 2-0 cushion.
- Fordham would rally in the top of the eighth, putting the first two men on and eventually scoring a VCU fielding error to get within one, 2-1. With runners on second and third and no outs, Acker made the play of the game by rifling a throw home on a fly ball to right to nail a Fordham runner and complete the double play, saving the 2-1 lead for VCU.
- The Rams would threaten in their half of the eighth, advancing a runner to third with one out, but were unable to get the run in.
- Senior Matt Lees came out of the pen to toss the final two frames and record his second save of the season.
Quotable: "How about those Rams? It started on the mound for both teams. Great job by Heath Dwyer in his last home start at VCU, he's had a great career and I'm really happy for him that he got to go out like that. And of course Matt Lees coming in and getting another save the day before senior day. We were able to take advantage of their mistakes at the plate. I'm really proud of the way the guys have played the last two days. Now we have a chance to play for a sweep here tomorrow, something we haven't really had all year, so we need to be ready to come out and get it done." -Head coach Shawn Stiffler
- The Rams conclude their home slate with the final game of the three-game set against Fordham. Senior Day is set for 11 a.m. on Saturday.