FINAL: VCU 9 (26-21, 8-10 A10), Saint Louis 12 (31-16, 12-6 A10)
LOCATION: Billiken Sports Center – Saint Louis, Mo.
VCU STARTERS: Farrar (CF), Bunn (LF), Davis (3B), Machin (SS), Carpenter (1B), Kerrigan (DH), Acker (3B), Haymaker (C), Berezo (2B), Dwyer (SP)
SAINT LOUIS STARTERS: Bozerth (CF), Murphy (RF), Vigliarolo (1B), Henson C (3B), Frabasilio (DH), Bunselmeyer (3B), Sniatynski (LF), Mannion (2B), King (SS), Moore (SP)
THE BASICS: The bats woke up for VCU on Sunday, but unfortunately Saint Louis outmuscled the
Rams to the tune of 15 hits and came away with a 12-9 victory. Daniel Concepcion tossed 5.1 innings in relief and Matt Lees pitched 2.2 nearly spotless innings in the series finale. Matt Davis led the way at the plate, smacking his team-leading fifth home run of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- For the first time in the series VCU jumped out to the early lead. Vimael Machin and Jimmy Kerrigan plated the first two runs with RBI singles and another run came in on a fielder's choice to give the Rams a 3-0 lead before the Billikens even came to the plate.
- Saint Louis answered back in a big way when it did come to bat in the bottom of the first, taking a 4-3 lead before the Rams could even record an out. SLU would exit the first inning up 6-3.
- Matt Davis' two-run home run in the top of the second pulled VCU back within one run, his fifth home run of the season. Another SLU run came in to score in the bottom of the second to put the score at 7-5.
- VCU took the lead back in the top of the fourth inning, scoring four runs going ahead 9-7. Earlier in the inning, Daane Berezo dodged a tag heading to second base and Logan Farrar ended up safe at first, turning a surefire double play into a big inning for the Rams.
- The Billikens took the lead back in the bottom of the fifth after scoring three runs, the go-ahead run coming on an RBI single up the middle. They brought in another couple of runs in the bottom of the sixth to extend their lead to 12-9, which would hold as the game's final score.
QUOTABLE: "Obviously it was an unfortunate weekend. Saint Louis beat us every way possible; they beat us up on Friday, beat us in a close was yesterday, and they outslugged us today. We came out and the guys were ready to go, they came out and scored three, then we were unable to get an out of our starter and had to go to the bullpen quickly. Then we ended up running out of time with Danny and they were able to get to him late. Their guy did a good job from the fourth inning on, he kept us from scoring. There's a lot of work for us to do, we're going to go back home, get into finals, and see if we can finish this season off strong." -Head Coach Shawn Stiffler
UP NEXT: VCU will travel to Norfolk State on Tuesday for a 5:00 game against the Spartans.