Apr 29, 2015
- Score: VCU 14, Norfolk State 6
- Records: VCU (26-18), Norfolk State (20-13)
- Location: The Diamond inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village – Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Six different Rams had multi-hit nights to lead the VCU baseball team to a 14-6 win over in-state foe Norfolk State on Military Appreciation Night on Wednesday. Junior James Bunn had three hits, three RBIs and two runs scored on the night, while sophomore Logan Farrar also racked up three hits and three runs scored.
How It Happened
- Farrar got the Rams started right away, lacing the first pitch of the bottom of the first into the corner for a leadoff double. Farrar would score three batters later on an RBI by Brett Hileman. Cody Acker would later provide an RBI single of his own sandwiched between sacrifice flies by Vimael Machin and Ryan Coale that gave VCU a 4-0 lead after just one inning of play.
- Machin and Bunn ripped RBI singles in the bottom of the second to spark another four-run frame that pushed the Rams' lead to 8-0 after two frames.
- Norfolk State got on the board in the top of third with three runs of their own, but VCU answered with runs in the home half of the third and fourth to grab a 10-3 advantage after four innings.
- Each team would add a run in the fifth and an RBI groundout by Matt Davis gave the Rams a 12-4 lead heading into the final two frames.
- Seniors Thomas Gill and Tyler Buckley combined for four scoreless innings on the night.
- NSU would add two in the top of the eighth to get within six, but RBIs from Bunn and Hileman made it an eight-run game at 14-6.
- Hileman came in to close out the game with a scoreless ninth inning.
- The Rams hit the road for a crucial Atlantic 10 series this weekend in Saint Louis. The first of three games against the Billikens is set for 6 p.m. on Friday night.