FINAL: VCU 3 (24-18, 7-7 A10), Rhode Island 6 (17-16-1, 10-4 A10)
LOCATION: Estes Park (Randolph-Macon College) – Ashland, Va.
VCU STARTERS: Farrar (CF), Bunn (LF), Davis (3B), Machin (SS), Carpenter (1B), Kerrigan (DH), Acker (RF), Haymaker (C), Berezo (2B), Thompson (SP)
RHODE ISLAND STARTERS: Caputo (SS), Olmo (RF), Hess (2B), Taveres (3B), Corin (1B), Gardella (C), Foreman (DH), Sherburne (RF), Powell (CF),Wilson (SP)
THE BASICS: A four-run eighth inning by Rhode Island gave it the lead for good in Saturday's game, with a three-run home run serving as the big blow in VCU's 6-3 loss to the Rams. Sean Thompson started the game and threw seven solid innings in the losing effort. Darian Carpenter launched his fourth home run of the season and scored two of VCU's three runs on the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Rhode Island got on the scoreboard first, plating its first run in the third inning via a VCU throwing error that allowed Mike Sherburne to score from second.
- That score of 1-0 would hold until the bottom of the seventh inning when VCU scored two runs and took its first lead of the series since early in the game on Friday. Walker Haymaker doubled down the right field line to score Darian Carpenter and Logan Farrar then singled up the middle to score Haymaker and give the Rams a late 2-1 lead.
- After seven innings Rhode Island's Tyler Wilson was the pitcher of record, who had come into the game with a spotless 5-0 record and a 1.14 ERA. Wilson was the Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week last week
- The visiting Rams would answer back in a big way in the top of the eighth. A run would score on a passed ball and that was immediately followed by Chris Hess' big home run over the left field fence.
- Carpenter's blast in the bottom of the eighth inning brought VCU withing two and gave the Rams life, but it would not be enough. Rhode Island added a run in the top of the ninth for good measure and came away with a 6-3 win.
UP NEXT: Game three of the series is scheduled for Sunday at 1 pm.