Score: VCU 9, George Mason 1
Records: VCU (19-14), George Mason (12-18-1)
Location: The Diamond inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village – Richmond, Va.
The Short Story: Behind a six run second inning, the Rams defeated George Mason, 9-1 to even the series. Logan Farrar and Matt Davis both blasted solo home runs.
How It Happened
- Farrar got things started quickly with a leadoff home run in the first.
- The Rams pushed six runs across in the second. Davis crossed the plate first scoring on a wild pitch. RBI singles from Walker Haymaker and Cody Acker drove in a pair before Vimael Machin was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to walk in the fourth run of the inning. Davis rounded out the scoring in the second with a two-run single to center.
- A solo homer from Davis allowed the Rams to extend their lead to 8-0 in the fourth. With the bases loaded in the sixth, Brett Hileman was hit by a pitch, allowing Acker to score, giving VCU a 9-0 advantage.
- Behind three hits in the eighth, George Mason got on the board, but the Rams secured their victory, 9-1.
- JoJo Howie went eight innings scattering eight hits while striking out two and walking three. Ben Stine tossed an inning of relief and held the Patriots to just one hit.
VCU will conclude the series with George Mason tomorrow (April 12). The first pitch is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.