Apr 10, 2015
- Score: George Mason 8, VCU 1
- Records: VCU (18-14), George Mason (13-17-1)
- Location: The Diamond inside HDL, Inc. Athletic Village – Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Sophomore Darian Carpenter and junior Cody Acker each collected three hits, but it wasn't enough as the VCU baseball team dropped the opener of a three-game set to George Mason, 8-1, on Friday afternoon.
How It Happened
- It was a pitcher's duel early on with the only run coming in the top of the second on a home run by George Mason's Tyler Nelin.
- Senior Matt Blanchard kept the Patriots at bay until the Rams offensive scratched a run across in the bottom of the fifth when Acker and Carpenter roped back-to-back doubles to plate a run and even the score at 1-1.
- The Patriots answered with five runs in the top half of the fifth, paced by Nelin's second home run of the game to grab a 6-1 advantage.
- Mason added runs in the eighth and ninth to round out the scoring on the day.
Beyond the Boxscore
- Carpenter has now hit safely in five straight games for the Rams
- Senior Vimael Machin has now collected a hit in 18 of his past 21 games
Quotable: "Not much to say today. Kalish was good on the mound, but we had oportunities early. We swung the bats well through the first half of the game but when it came time to execute we just weren't able to move the baseball when we had guys on third base so we could grab a lead. Then it got into the later half of the game and they had that big inning in the sixth. The guys have to be ready to go tomorrow. George Mason is a team that knows how to win so we'll have to be ready to go again tomorrow." -Head coach Shawn Stiffler
- The Rams and Patriots are back in action on Saturday morning. First pitch at The Diamond is set for 11 a.m.