FINAL: VCU 10 (18-13), Old Dominion 2 (17-14)
LOCATION: Bud Metheny Baseball Complex – Norfolk, Va.
VCU STARTERS: Farrar (CF), Acker (RF), Carpenter (1B), Machin (SS), Kerrigan (LF), Gransback (DH), Haymaker (C), Lacey (3B), Berezo (2B), Thompson (SP).
OLD DOMINION STARTERS: Higgins (3B), Rutherford (SS), Ostrich (DH), Francis (1B), Eldridge (LF), Myers (CF), Perez (C), Lustrino (2B), Walker (RF), Matheson (SP)
THE BASICS: VCU came out to play today, beating Old Dominion 10-2 in its midweek game. Vimael Machin got things back on track and led the way with four hits while Alex Gransback added three himself. The bottom half of the order did the heavy lifting tonight, driving in eight of the 10 runs the Rams scored. Sean Thompson, Matt Lees, and Tyler Buckley provided the pitching in tonight's big win.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- From the very first pitch it was apparent that the Rams came to play. A hit batsman and two walks led off the game before a couple of RBI singles gave VCU a 2-0 lead before the Monarchs even set foot in the batter's box.
- In the top of the third Alex Gransback doubled that lead to four runs on a two-run single through the left side of the infield. Mitchel Lacey followed that up with a sacrifice fly to deep right field to put his team ahead 5-0.
- Despite surrendering their first run of the day in the bottom of the third, VCU got it back in the top of the fifth on an RBI single by Walker Haymaker. Another couple of runs were scored that inning via an ODU error and a bases loaded walk, giving the Rams an 8-2 lead. VCU batters were frustrating ODU pitchers early, with the Monarchs cycling through four different pitchers by this point in the game.
- The Rams added a couple of runs in the top of the sixth to go up 10-2, the fifth time this season they've reached double-digits in runs scored.
- Sean Thompson provided another solid midweek start for VCU, throwing five innings and giving up just two runs. Matt Lees came into the game in relief and threw two shutout innings while allowing just one base runner. Lees has now thrown 28 consecutive scoreless innings to start the season.
- Tyler Buckley came in to shut down the Monarchs in the final two innings en route to a 10-2 VCU win.
QUOTABLE: "This was a great team win, we got contributions from a lot of guys. We have two every day starters hurt right now so to have some guys come in and fill those roles was great to see. Alex Gransback and Mitchel Lacey coming in off the bench and being ready to go, driving in five RBI between them was awesome. The big thing today again was defense, we didn't have a single error. Our starting pitching Sean Thompson let us get in a rhythm early and then Matt Lees and Tyler Buckley came in and pitched outstanding, neither of them walked anyone or allowed a run through four innings. It was great to get out here and face a great opponent like Old Dominion. Great win." Head Coach Shawn Stiffler
UP NEXT: The Rams will host George Mason this weekend for a three-game Atlantic 10 series. The first game against the Patriots will be Friday at 11:00 am.