Score: VCU 8, Longwood 1
Records: VCU (13-10), Longwood (10-13)
Location: The Diamond inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village – Richmond, Va.
The Short Story: The VCU baseball team continued its hot-hitting as the team powered past Longwood, 8-1, Wednesday night. Vimael Machin and Matt Davis both had three hits and drove in a pair of runs, while James Bunn had a game-high three RBI. Eight different Rams recorded a hit in Wednesday's contest, while four had multi-hit games.
How It Happened
- Logan Farrar led off the first with a single to left center and scored the first VCU run off a single from Machin. With an RBI single from Darien Carpenter in the third, the Rams added another run in the third to take a 2-0 lead as Davis crossed the plate.
- Longwood scored its only run in the top of the fourth. The Rams extended their lead to 6-1, with a pair of runs in the fifth and the sixth.
- In the eighth, VCU added a couple of insurance runs to take an 8-1 lead, as Bunn singled through the left side to drive in Ryan Coale and Cooper Mickelson.
- The Rams pitching staff of Tyler Buckley, Garrett Pearson and Thomas Gill combined to hold Longwood to five hits while striking out five, and only walking two.
- Machin has extended his hitting streak to 12 games.
VCU will continue its homestand at The Diamond this weekend, as the Rams open Atlantic 10 Conference play with a three-game series with UMass. The series starts Friday with the first pitch scheduled for 6:30 p.m.