Score: VCU 3, Davidson 0 (25-16, 25-18, 25-20)
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center)
Records: VCU 18-8 (13-1 A-10), Davidson 12-13 (5-9)
The short story: Junior opposite Gina Tuzzolo ripped a season-high 17 kills as VCU coasted past Davidson and clinched Atlantic 10 Conference regular season championship for the second straight year. The Rams will be the No. 1 overall seed in the Atlantic 10 Tournament, which will be held Nov. 16-18 at the E.J. Wade Arena at the Siegel Center.
- Davidson had no answer for Tuzzolo. The Newport News native hit .600 on 25 swings to power the VCU attack. She also provided three blocks
- Seniors Tori Baldwin and Julia Adler were honored in a pre-match ceremony. Baldwin responded with four kills and four blocks, while hitting .429. Adler was even better, spiking six kills in nine attempts, while earning a share of six blocks
- Junior middle blocker Jasmin Sneed supplied five kills and eight blocks, while hitting .455 for the Black and Gold
- Ciera Cockrell led the Wildcats with nine kills
- VCU dominated defensively, especially at the net. The Rams outblocked Davidson 12.5 to 3.0. The Rams also owned a 44-39 advantage in digs
- The Black and Gold served up eight aces in the match, including three by sophomore outside hitter Paula Neciporuka
- Davidson did not lead at any point in the first two sets
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU is 29-1 against A-10 foes the past two seasons
- The Rams are 21-1 at home the past two seasons. VCU will host the 2018 A-10 Tournament
VCU will receive a bye to the A-10 Tournament semifinal round. The Rams, the defending A-10 Tournament champs, will take the court on the winner of the 4/5 match-up at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 17.