Tournament: Tallahassee Seminole Classic
Score: VCU 3, Florida A&M 1 (25-27, 25-23, 25-17, 25-15)
Location: Tallahassee, Fla. (Al Lawson Center)
Records: VCU 3-6, FAMU 0-10
The short story: Junior outside hitter Vicky Giommarini recorded a double-double and classmate Gina Tuzzolo supplied nine blocks as VCU overcame a slow start on the way to a victory at Florida A&M Saturday afternoon.
- Giommarini spiked a team-high 12 kills for the Rams. She also dug 10 balls and added two blocks and an ace
- Tuzzolo picked up a team-best 14.5 points with nine kills and nine blocks – including two solos – while hitting .300
- Senior middle blocker Tori Baldwin hit .300 with nine kills and four blocks for VCU, while sophomore outside hitter Paula Neciporuka continued to emerge with seven kills and five digs. She hit .316 in the match and committed just one error in 19 swings
- Junior middle block Jasmin Sneed blasted eight kills in 12 attempts for the Rams. She registered six more blocks in the match and leads the team with 55 in nine matches this season
- Maria Yvett Garcia led all players with 25 kills for FAMU, while Valentina Carrasco was credited with 34 digs
- VCU ratcheted up the defense in the final three sets after falling behind 1-0. The Rams held the Rattlers to hitting percentages of .077, .000 and .088, respectively, in those three frames. The Rattlers hit just .120 in the match after opening with a .344 mark in the first set
- The Rams were again strong at the net, outblocking FAMU 13-6.
- VCU hit .267 in the match, including .375 in the fourth on the way to a 25-15 triumph
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Baldwin picked up four more blocks against FAMU and need just three more to become VCU's all-time leader in that category. Kelsie Clegg (434) has held that mark since 2010
- Giommarini has logged four double-doubles (kills-assists) in nine matches this year
VCU will finish the weekend on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. against Southern Miss at Tully Gym on the campus of Florida State.