Score: VCU 3, Saint Louis 0 (25-19, 25-22, 25-20)
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center)
Records: VCU 24-2 (10-0 A-10), Saint Louis 9-13 (6-3)
The short story: Sophomore outside hitter Vicky Giommarini led the offense, while VCU combined to overwhelm Saint Louis defensively in a sweep Friday night at E.J. Wade Arena. VCU extended the nation's longest win streak to 21 matches.
- VCU, which has won all 30 of its sets in conference play, was seldom tested Friday and never trailed in the third set.
- Giommarini supplied a balanced effort with four kills in each set while hitting .286. She also collected six digs.
- Meanwhile, on the back row, senior libero Rebekah Strange was flying around to the tune of 24 digs in the match. Strange, the reigning A-10 Defensive Player of the Week, dug 10 balls in the second set alone.
- Not to be outdone, junior middle Tori Baldwin and sophomore opposite Gina Tuzzolo combined for 17 total blocks for the Black and Gold.
- Meanwhile, junior outside Julia Adler produced seven kills on just 11 swings for VCU.
- Lauren Mershon was a bright spot for the Billikens. She recorded eight kills and four blocks, while hitting .467.
- VCU sophomore setters Dajah Ard and Tyler Sroufe masterfully directed a Rams' attack that hit .268. They combined for 43 of VCU's 47 assists.
- The Rams outhit Saint Louis .268-.131 and outblocked the Billikens 11-5.
- The match included several long rallies, which appeared to play into VCU's favor. The Rams outdug Saint Louis 57-44 and five players registered at least six digs.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU is a perfect 10-0 at home this year.
- Of the Rams' 24 wins, 18 have come via sweep.
- Strange is currently averaging 4.84 digs per set, the most by a Ram since 2007.
- With nine blocks Friday, Baldwin moved into sole possession of fourth place on VCU's career list with 357.
VCU will meet Dayton (18-6, 9-0 A-10) on Sunday, Oct. 29 at the Siegel Center at 1 p.m. in what is the Rams' biggest match of the season to date. The winner will leave with sole possession of first place in the A-10. Dayton has won 10 straight matches.