Tournament: Jefferson Cup
Score: VCU 3, Howard 2 (25-23, 29-27, 20-25, 15-11)
Location: Charlottesville, Va. (Memorial Gymnasium)
Records: VCU 9-2, Howard 2-8
The short story: Senior outside Alicia Kandler knocked down a season-high 20 kills as the Rams battled through five sets for just the second time this season to beat Howard and extend its win streak to six matches.
- VCU and Howard would trade blows in the first four sets, but the Rams were able to hit .240 in the fifth set to take the match.
- Sophomore middle Jasmin Sneed accounted for a match-high 11 blocks.
- Junior middle Tori Baldwin hit .688 with 12 kills and seven blocks.
- Senior libero Rebakah Strange more than tripled her dig total from the first match of the day, recording 31 digs in the match against Howard.
- Khaila Donaldson contributed 19 kills for Howard.
- VCU outhit Howard in three sets, including a .240 hitting percentage in the fifth set.
- The Rams blocked 34 attacks while Howard was able to thwart just 22 of VCU's attacks.
- Howard committed 45 hitting errors while the Rams committed just 35.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU's six-match win streak matches its best stretch since Sept. 19-Oct. 3 during the 2014 campaign.
- Baldwin committed just one hitting error in 30 swings during the Jefferson Cup.
- Dajah Ard had a season-high 31 assists, contributing to over half of the Rams' 51 assists.
HEAD COACH JODY ROGERS
"It was a great match and the girls played great. Howard is really athletic and dynamic and matched up well against us. Tori Baldwin, Dajah Ard and Alica Kandler played great. Tori hit exceptionally well in part because Dajah hit so well and Alicia is just so solid. It was a great weekend for us."
VCU will look to add to its six-match win streak on Tuesday when it squares off against Liberty in Lynchburg, Va.