Bowling Green/Toledo Invitational
Score: VCU 3, Southeastern Louisiana 0 (25-13, 25-19, 25-16)
Location: Toledo, Ohio (Savage Arena)
Records: VCU 5-2, Southeastern Louisiana 0-5
The short story: Dominant performances by junior middle Tori Baldwin and sophomore outside hitter Vicky Giommarini highlighted a well-rounded VCU effort as the Rams swept past Southeastern Louisiana Saturday at the Bowling Green/Toledo Invitational. VCU completes the weekend with a 2-1 record after scoring a victory over host Toledo on Friday evening. Both Baldwin and Giommarini were named to the All-Tournament Team for their efforts over the weekend.
- Southeastern Louisiana had no answer for Baldwin, VCU's 6-foot-3 middle. The Liberty, N.C. native did not commit a hitting error in 13 swings and produced nine kills. She added four blocks, including one solo.
- Giommarini provided nine kills, two blocks and a service ace.
- Sophomore Gina Tuzzolo also shined for VCU. The lefty hit 467 with eight kills in 15 swings. She also added three blocks.
- Sam Gomez led the Lions with seven kills.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU's dominance was in large part a result of its sure-handedness. The Rams committed just nine hitting errors all day in 89 attempts. The Rams hit .382 on the day, while Southeastern Louisiana hit .082
- The Black and Gold outblocked the Lions 10-3.
- VCU handed out 41 assists on its 43 kills.
VCU will hit the road for a non-conference match at High Point at 6 p.m. in High Point, N.C.