Bowling Green/Toledo Invitational
Score: VCU 3, Toledo 1 (15-25, 25-23, 25-20, 25-14)
Location: Toledo, Ohio (Savage Arena)
Records: VCU 4-2, Toledo 2-3
The short story: Sophomore outside hitter Vicky Giommarini was responsible for a team-high 16 points, which helped propel VCU to a 3-1 win over host Toledo Friday evening at Savage Arena.
- Giommarini, an Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Team selection in 2016, turned in a well-rounded effort. The Rome, Italy native spiked eight kills, served up six aces, contributed to four blocks and collected six digs.
- Sophomore Gino Tuzzolo provided 10 kills, five blocks and hit .438, while junior middle Tori Baldwin added eight kills and hit .462 for the Rams. Baldwin also kicked in seven blocks.
- Senior libero Rebekah Strange recorded 22 digs and was one reason Toledo hit just .156 in the match.
- Sophomore middle Jasmin Sneed also supplied seven kills and six blocks for the Black and Gold.
- Emma Swope booked a match-high 16 kills for Toledo.
- While VCU held a small edge in hitting (.172-.156), the Rams distanced themselves with a 13-5 advantage in blocks, and an 8-5 difference in service aces.
- VCU responded from a rough first set by hitting .224 in the final three frames, including .364 in the third set alone.
- After losing the first set decisively, the Rams fell behind 14-13 in the second before taking command. VCU responded with an immediate 6-2 burst to assume a 19-16 lead. The Rams would not trail again.
"I though the girls responded well [to Friday morning's loss] and showed some toughness and grit. Vicky was terrific tonight. We got off to a slow start, but I think we wore Toledo down a bit. Once our girls settled in, we were in good shape." – VCU Coach Jody Rogers.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- With her 22-dig performance, Strange moved past Shannon McMeekin and into sole possession of fifth place on VCU's career list in that category.
- In six matches this season, sophomore Jasmin Sneed is averaging 1.57 blocks per set. She has produced at least six blocks in four of the Rams' six matches in 2017.
VCU will take on Southeastern Louisiana at 11 a.m. at Toledo's Savage Arena.