Bowling Green/Toledo Invitational
Score: Notre Dame 3, VCU 1 (25-12, 23-25, 25-14, 25-22)
Location: Bowling Green, Ohio (Stroh Center)
Records: VCU 3-2, Notre Dame 4-0
- Kandler's hitting notwithstanding, the Rams were unable to get on track offensively. VCU hit .107 in the match overall.
- Sophomore Vicky Giommarini added nine kills and a season-high 17 digs for VCU.
- The Rams, who dug a season-best 66 balls, were led on the back row by senior Rebekah Strange, who recorded 22 digs.
- Sophomore setter Dajah Ard contributed 20 assists and nine digs to the VCU cause.
- Three Notre Dame players provided at least 10 kills, including Sydney Kuhn, who turned in a match-high 17.
- VCU looked primed to take over the lead in the match early in the third set when the Rams raced out to a 13-6 lead. But the Irish closed the frame with a stunning 19-1 blitz.
- The Rams rallied back from seven points down in the fourth to knot the score at 22-all following a kill by Kandler. But the Irish scored the match's final three points to secure the win.
- Notre Dame benefitted from a 12-3 advantage in service aces in the match. Natalie Johnson served up six aces alone.
VCU will make a short drive up I-75 to Toledo, Ohio, where the Rams will face Toledo at 7 p.m. Friday night.