Score: College of Charleston 3, VCU 1 (25-16, 25-27, 25-21, 26-24)
Location: Charleston, S.C. (TD Arena)
Tournament: Charleston Classic
Records: VCU 3-5, College of Charleston 4-3
- The Rams were active at the net. Sophomore Tori Baldwin booked eight blocks, while classmate Julia Adler notched six.
- McLetchie was one of three Rams to register double-digit kills. Adler and Kandler provided 13 apiece.
- VCU freshman setter Tyler Sroufe produced 37 assists, 13 digs and four blocks for the Black and Gold.
- College of Charleston's Lauren Freed spearheaded the Cougars' attack with a match-high 20 kills. Devon Rachel added 15 and hit .387 for the hosts.
- While the Rams kept things interesting with their blocking, the Cougars pulled away late behind the heady playmaking of setter Allison Beckman. Beckman handed out 56 assists in the match, and Charleston hit .278 as a result.
- At one point, it appeared the match might be headed for a fifth-set tiebreaker. A McLetchie kill and a Sroufe/Baldwin double block helped push VCU in front 23-22 in the fourth set. Charleston answered with a kill, and the teams traded the next two points. But an unforced VCU error, as well as Freed's 20th kill of the night, pushed the Cougars to a 26-24 match-clinching victory.
- The match was, statistically speaking, fairly even. The Cougars did outhit the Rams .278-.196, but VCU outblocked Charleston 14-9. The Cougars also owned a 55-50 edge in digs.
"It was a tough match, but we came out a little flat early, and we were playing catch-up. They kept us on our toes because they had two very physical outside hitters that challenged us. We're doing some good things, some things better than in past years, but we're still looking to put it all together. We have two big games tomorrow, so we need to get back to work and get ready for Eastern Michigan and Charleston Southern. We need to get more consistent and put runs together." -- VCU Coach Jody Rogers
The Rams will play two Charleston Classic matches on Saturday. VCU will meet Eastern Michigan at 10:30 a.m. before taking on Charleston Southern at 4:30 at TD Arena.