Score: Florida Gulf Coast 3, VCU 0 (25-21, 25-19, 25-11)
Location: Fort Myers, Fla. (Alico Arena)
Tournament: FGCU Hilton Garden Inn Invitational
Records: VCU 2-4, FGCU 4-2
- Adler hit .350 in the match to pace the VCU attack. The Rams hit .198 overall in the match.
- Adler and sophomore Tori Baldwin were named to the All-Tournament Team for their efforts in three matches over the weekend.
- Freshman CeCe Madison added six kills and four digs, while junior libero Rebekah Strange collected 10 digs.
- VCU freshman setter Tyler Sroufe handed out 23 assists and dug five balls For the Rams.
- Amanda Carroll led all players with 16 kills for Florida Gulf Coast.
- The Eagles received a boost in the opening set when a pair of kills by Ciara Debell and one by Carroll provided FGCU with a 3-0 burst and a 21-17 advantage on the way to a 25-21 win.
- FGCU hit .680 in the final set on the way to a 25-11 clinching victory. Carroll spiked three kills during an 8-1 run that put the Eagles in front 15-5.
- Florida Gulf Coast outhit the Rams .404-.198 in the match.
"Florida Gulf Coast is a really good team. They did some good things, and our youth really showed. We just didn't execute in certain areas. They were the best team out there tonight, and they had a more balanced attack. It's a good experience for us. It's going to help us later on. A lot of good things came from this weekend, and there's a lot of things we know we need to get in the gym and get better at. Our goal is to be playing really well in November. " – VCU Coach Jody Rogers
VCU will host High Point in the Rams' home opener on Tuesday, Sept. 6 at 7 p.m. at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.