Aug 26, 2016
Score: Bowling Green 3, VCU 0 (25-17, 25-19, 25-22)
Location: Bowling Green, Ohio (Stroh Center)
Tournament: Hampton Inn Invitational
Records: VCU 0-1, Bowling Green 1-0
The short story: Junior outside hitter Alica Kandler blasted a match-high 15 kills in her VCU debut, but the Rams dropped their season-opener Friday afternoon at Bowling Green.
- Kandler, who spent the past two years at Daytona State College, committed just three hitting errors and recorded a .444 attack percentage. She also provided nine digs.
- Junior libero Rebekah Strange led VCU's back line with 15 digs.
- Freshman outside hitter CeCe Madison added nine kills and seven digs for the Rams, while freshman setter Tyler Sroufe handed out 25 assists.
- Alyssa Maloney led the BGSU attack with 12 kills and Isabel Kovacic contributed 10.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bowling Green outhit VCU .296-.144 in the match.
- Down 1-0, VCU was within striking distance of evening the match in the second set. The Rams drew within a point on several occasions and trailed just 21-19 late in the frame. But a pair of kills by the Falcons' Jessi Holly sparked a 4-0 burst to close the set.
- VCU jumped to a 9-8 lead in the third set, but a 9-2 run by Bowling Green gave the Falcons control on the way to a 25-22 win.
- VCU will host 23rd-ranked Louisville at 4:30 p.m. Friday as play continues in the Hampton Inn Invitational.