Nov 14, 2015
Score: VCU 3, Fordham 2 (25-7, 25-16, 26-28, 19-25, 15-11)
Location: Richmond, Va. (Siegel Center)
Record: VCU 14-15 (8-5), Fordham 8-22 (2-11)
- Kalah Jones led a balanced VCU attack with 16 kills and celebrated her Senior Day with a 3-2 victory over Fordham Saturday at the Siegel Center.
- Fordham certainly didn't make it easy. The Bronx, New York school rallied from a 2-0 deficit to force a fifth set tiebreaker. But VCU limited Fordham to a .105 hitting percentage and recorded three blocks on the way to a 15-11 win in the fifth.
- Jones hit .312 for VCU and added nine digs and three blocks. VCU blocked Fordham 14 times overall Saturday.
- Five VCU players spiked at least 10 kills, including middles Jane Feddersen (10) and Tori Baldwin (10), who hit .529 and .412, respectively.
- Baldwin also registered a career-high eight blocks in the match, while outside hitter Julia Adler was party to seven. Adler also booked 10 kills.
- VCU setter Indigo Thompson dished out 45 assists for an offense that hit .291 in the match. She added seven digs, three blocks and a pair of aces.
- Breanna Jones helped lead Fordham's rally with 12 kills.
- Feddersen sparked a 6-2 VCU run midway through the fifth set with a block and kill on consecutive plays that pushed the Black and Gold in front 13-9. Kills by Adler and Jones a short time later clinched the win.
- Fordham rallied back from match point and took a 26-25 lead with back-to-back blocks in the third set. Breanna Jones capped the wild, 28-26 Fordham win moments later with a kill. VCU had trailed by as much as 18-12 before mounting a comeback.
- VCU stormed to a 2-0 lead in the match behind convincing 25-7 and 25-16 wins in the opening sets. VCU hit .769 in the first set and did not commit an attacking error in the frame.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- VCU has won six consecutive Atlantic 10 Conference matches.
- The Black and Gold avenged a 3-0 loss to Fordham back on Sept. 27 at Rose Hill Gymnasium.
- Jones has recorded at least 13 kills in 10 straight matches.
- VCU will close out its regular season with Rhode Island Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Siegel Center.