Oct 06, 2015
Score: Liberty 3, VCU 0 (25-19, 25-22, 25-22)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Vines Center)
Records: Liberty 8-8, VCU 6-13
- Freshman outside hitter Sahbria McLetchie was nearly unstoppable, turning 43 swings into a career-high 22 kills for VCU, but it wasn't enough for the Rams to overcome Liberty Tuesday at the Vines Center.
- McLetchie has topped 20 kills three times this season and Tuesday's outburst was the most by a VCU freshman since 2007. McLetchie hit .349 in the match and committed just seven hitting errors. She produced eight kills each in the second and third sets.
- Sophomore middle blocker Jane Feddersen hit .294 with seven kills for the Rams, while classmate Rebekah Strange, a libero, produced 13 digs.
- VCU redshirt freshman setter Indigo Thompson handed out 35 assists and dug nine balls.
- Caroline Douglas and Jade Worster combined for 17 kills and 11 blocks to pace Liberty.
- The Rams led the second set 18-17, but a block by Anna Willey and Sirena Vorster, followed by a Haley Jeffcoat kill, punctuated a 3-0 burst for the Flames. VCU rallied to tie the score at 21-21 on a McLetchie ace, but kills by Douglas and Jade Vorster, followed by a Sirena Vorster ace, all but ended the Rams' hopes of evening the match.
- The final set was also a back-and-forth affair, but Liberty used a 4-0 burst – with kills from four different players – to grab a 21-18 lead it would not surrender.
- "We came out a little flat tonight and Liberty was ready. Sahbria McLetchie and Rebekah Strange played well for us tonight, but we couldn't string points together, couldn't get any runs going. But we got some people back in the lineup tonight, and our focus now is getting ready to jump back into conference play Saturday." – VCU Coach Jody Rogers
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- McLetchie is averaging 4.75 kills per set in her last three matches.
- Strange has recorded double-digit dig totals in four straight contests.
- VCU returns to Atlantic 10 play on Saturday, Oct. 10 when it travels to Davidson for a 6 p.m. match.