Oct 04, 2015
Score: George Mason 3, VCU 1 (18-25, 25-19, 25-21, 25-23)
Location: Richmond, Va. (Siegel Center)
Records: George Mason 6-12 (1-2 A-10) VCU 6-12 (0-4)
- Freshman outside hitter Sahbria McLetchie supplied a match-high 17 kills, as well as eight digs and four blocks, but it wasn't enough for VCU to hold off George Mason Sunday at the Siegel Center.
- Sophomore Jane Feddersen added 12 kills and three blocks for the Rams. Six of Feddersen's kills came in the fourth set as VCU tried to force a fifth-set tiebreaker.
- Redshirt freshman setter Indigo Thompson dished out 44 assists for VCU, while the back row duo of Rebekah Strange and libero Tori Pearce combined for 29 digs. Pearce was credited with a career-high 16 digs Sunday.
- Morghan Martin provided 15 kills and three aces to spur George Mason.
- Feddersen blasted three kills in a four-play span as the Rams built a 10-3 lead early in the fourth set. But George Mason slowly chipped away. The Patriots used a 9-3 burst to pull within 13-12 and later took a 17-16 lead on a kill by Jordan Glass. The teams exchanged points until Mason used three straight points – kills by Lola Owokoniran and Martin, as well as an ace by Montana Green – to grab a 24-22 advantage on the way to a 25-23 win.
- Mason broke a 20-all tie in the third set on a VCU hitting error, then used a Sydney Fanoga ace and a Martin kill to take a commanding 23-20 lead. Martin and Owokoniran kills a short time later sealed a 25-21 win for the Patriots.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE
- McLetchie piled up 35 kills in two matches this weekend, an average of 3.9 per set. The San Antonio native has supplied double-digit kills in eight of her last 10 matches. She reached double digits once in VCU's first eight matches of the season.
- Forty-one of VCU's 52 kills in the match were produced by freshmen or sophomores.
- Redshirt sophomore Tori Pearce averaged 3.4 digs per set in two matches this weekend, more than double her career average of 1.86.
- VCU will aim to get back on track on Tuesday, Oct. 6 when it travels to face Liberty at 7 p.m. in Lynchburg, Virginia. That match will be broadcast on ESPN3.