Sep 05, 2015
Score: Appalachian State 3, VCU 0 (25-20, 25-14, 25-20)
Tournament: Cavalier Classic
Location: Charlottesville, Va. (Memorial Gymnasium)
Records: Appalachian State 4-3, VCU 2-5
- Senior outside hitter Uzoamaka Ibeh produced eight kills and hit .294, but she and VCU were unable to slow down Appalachian State Saturday in their finale of the Cavalier Classic at Memorial Gymnasium.
- Redshirt freshman setter Indigo Thompson was credited with 28 assists for the Rams and added three kills to the cause.
- Sophomore libero Rebekah Strange dug 12 balls in the match for VCU, while sophomore Jessica Young collected eight kills.
- VCU was unable to blunt the offensive attack of the Mountaineers. Appalachian State hit .396 in the match and committed just eight attacking errors. Jess Keller led the way for ASU with 11 kills, while Ashton Gregory kicked in 10.
- For her efforts over the weekend, Young was named to the All-Tournament Team. She averaged 2.70 kills per set in three matches.
- The first set was a tug-of-war and featured 11 ties and six lead changes. VCU's Jane Feddersen served up an ace to push the Rams in front 20-19, but from there, it was all Mountaineers. Vera Horstmann ignited Appalachian State with a kill and block on consecutive plays. A short time later, Gregory ripped three straight kills to clinch the set.
- The Rams threatened again late in the third, closing within 20-18 on a block by freshman Tori Baldwin and Young. But VCU would get no closer.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU opened the match by hitting .212 in the first set, but the Rams were unable to sustain that kind of output. The Black and Gold hit .121 the rest of the way.
- The Rams served up five aces in the match, including three by Feddersen.
- The Rams will hit the road and head to Murfreesboro, Tennessee Sept. 11-12 for the Middle Tennessee State Invitational. VCU will open the weekend with Kansas State Friday at 5:30 p.m.