Sep 04, 2015
Score: Virginia 3, VCU 1 (25-20, 25-14, 19-25, 25-23)
Tournament: Cavalier Classic
Location: Charlottesville, Va. (Memorial Gymnasium)
Records: Virginia 2-1, VCU 2-3
- Sophomore outside hitter Jessica Young spiked 10 kills and hit .318 for VCU, but an early UVA lead held up as the Cavaliers captured a 3-1 win over the Rams Friday night at Memorial Gymnasium in Charlottesville.
- Freshman Tori Baldwin also turned in a strong performance for the Rams. The middle blocker from Liberty, North Carolina contributed eight kills and a team-best six blocks to the VCU effort, while sophomore Jane Feddersen provided nine kills and five blocks.
- In the back row, sophomore libero Rebekah Strange dug 20 balls for the Rams.
- VCU helped itself with eight service aces and outblocked UVA 12-11.
- Natalie Bausback led the offensive-minded Cavaliers with 15 kills, while setter Lauren Fuller handed out 45 assists.
- The Rams fell behind 2-0 Friday, but Young spearheaded a VCU rally. She hammered five kills on eight swings in the third set and the Rams hit .393 in the frame on the way to a 25-19 win.
- VCU threatened to push the match to a tiebreaker. Trailing 23-20 in the fourth set, the Rams received back-to-back-to-back kills from Young, Kalah Jones and Sahbria McLetchie. But UVA answered with a kill by Haley Kole on the ensuing volley to halt the Rams' momentum on the way to a 25-23 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Rams started slow, hitting .058 in the first two sets. VCU, rebounded, however, to hit .258 in the final two frames.
- VCU will return to Memorial Gym on Saturday for the conclusion of the Cavalier Classic. The Rams will meet Iowa State at noon before wrapping up the weekend against Appalachian State at 4 p.m.