Oct 24, 2014
- Score: Rhode Island 3, VCU 2
- Records: VCU (12-10, 5-3 A10), Rhode Island (14-7, 5-3 A10)
- Location: Keaney Gymnasium – Kingston, Rhode Island
- The Short Story: Senior Janelle Sykes had a season-high 22 kills and classmate Cecilia Aragao tallied 53 assists, but it wasn't enough as the VCU volleyball team dropped a tough five-set thriller at Rhode Island, 3-2, on Friday night.
How It Happened
- URI took two of the first three sets, but an offensive explosion in the fourth set from the Black & Gold (hit .333 as a team), sent the match into a fifth and deciding set.
- VCU took an 8-5 lead in the fifth set, but URI took nine of the next 10 points. The Black & Gold would win the next three points to make it 14-12, but URI came up with the match-sealing point.
- Sykes had a huge night with 22 kills, while hitting .419 and racking up 10 blocks.
- Aragao was solid as usual with 53 assists and 14 digs on the night.
- Junior Uzoamaka Ibeh and sophomore Nora Reed were key on the Rams' offensive attack, combining for 18 kills and just two errors apiece.
- "We had a lot of contributors tonight but just couldn't put it all together as a team when we needed. Sykes, Reed, and Ibeh had nice offensive nights and Jane Feddersen did a great job serving from the end line. Rhode Island took advantage and played well to their credit. We have more to do to be better as a group, and tomorrow is a new day to start that process." – Head Coach Jody Rogers
- The Rams head to the Bronx, N.Y. for an Atlantic 10 showdown with Fordham. Game time on Sunday, Oct. 26 is set for 1 p.m.