September 8, 2012
RAMS DISPATCH HOYAS, NAB THIRD DEGREE SPORTSWEAR INVITIATIONAL BEHIND MVP FARKAS
SCORES: VCU 3, Georgetown 1 (25-14, 25-20, 23-25, 27-25)
LOCATION: Richmond, Va. (Verizon Wireless Arena – Third Degree Sportswear Invitational)
RECORDS: VCU 9-1, Georgetown 6-2
- VCU tops Georgetown and completes a 3-0 weekend to win the VCU/Third Degree Sportswear Invitational. The Rams have won all three of the tournaments they've participated in this season (Ball State, N.C. State).
- Senior Anett Farkas was named Tournament Most Valuable Player after she posted three straight double-doubles. Farkas averaged 2.79 kills, 2.64 digs and 0.64 blocks per set, while hitting .265, in three matches this weekend.
- VCU has won five straight matches to improve to 9-1 for the first time since the 2000 season.
HOW THEY BEAT THE HOYAS
- VCU hit .448 in the first set and .275 in the second as it stormed to a 2-0 advantage in the match before holding off a late charge by Georgetown.
- The Rams out hit the Hoyas .272-.185 in the match and fired a season-high nine service aces, including five by freshman Romana Kriskova.
- Farkas blasted 14 kills with 13 digs and three blocks while hitting .314.
- Freshman middle Martina Samadan, who has been named to three straight all-tournament teams, provided 12 kills, six blocks and hit .320, while senior Kristin Boyd smacked 14 kills.
- Sophomore Cecilia Aragao doled out 43 assists and added six kills.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Senior Marisa Low, playing in her second match of the season following offseason knee surgery, saw her most extensive action to date. She supplied nine digs.
- Farkas has produced a kills-digs double-double in a career-best five straight matches (all VCU victories).
"I love it. We've been working towards this for several years, putting together tough schedules and taking some beatings so our kids would grow and get used to this level of competition. It's really fun and exciting now. It's a testament to their character, to take those bruises and now have this kind of success. I'm really happy for them." -- Head Coach James Finley on VCU's 9-1 start
VCU/THIRD DEGREE SPORTSWEAR ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
Anett Farkas, VCU (MVP); Cecilia Aragao, VCU; Martina Samadan, VCU; Dani White, Georgetown; Alex Johnson; Dalton Tolliver, Appalachian State; Tori Janowski, Virginia
3-Appalachian State 1-2
*Georgetown declared runner-up based on set winning percentage.
VCU travels to West Point, N.Y. for the Army Invitational Sept. 14-16, where the Rams will meet Army, Sacred Heart and Albany.