SCORES: VCU 3, Illinois State 1 (26-24, 24-26, 25-20, 25-16)
LOCATION: Muncie, Ind. (Ball State Active Ankle Challenge – Worthen Arena)
RECORDS: VCU 1-0, Illinois State 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Romana Kriskova hit .375 and blasted 14 kills with 11 digs and four blocks in her VCU debut.
- Senior middle blocker Jasmine Waters was nearly unstoppable, providing 11 kills on 15 swings. She did not commit a hitting error and added two blocks.
- Senior Kristin Boyd also supplied 14 kills and three blocks, while sophomore setter Cecilia Aragao dished out 43 assists and registered eight digs.
- VCU survived a first set that included 12 ties and three lead changes to capture a 26-24 win and take a 1-0 match lead.
- The Rams, who led the CAA in blocking last year, got off to a good start in 2012 with 11.0 against the Redbirds. Illinois State hit just .103 in the match.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- VCU is now 6-2 in season openers under Coach James Finley.
- With the score tied a 24-24 in the first set, Kristin Boyd blocked ISU's Stacey Niao. On the ensuing rally, freshman Martina Samadan and Anett Farkas blocked LeighAnn Hranka to clinch the 26-24 win.
- "We're very happy with the win. [Illinois State] is a good solid team. We have to be able to beat these kinds of teams if we are going to reach our goals. We did a lot of good things and when we were in system it was nice. The only thing we struggled with was serve receive."
- "Kristin [Boyd] did a really nice job. Her numbers weren't that good, but she had to swing at some really horrible balls."
- "Martina [Samadan] struggled in first two sets, but led us in blocks, which is what we want…Jasmine [Waters] was unstoppable. They didn't have an answer for her. She did a great job of being available. She got out there and got it done…It seems that Romana Kriskova has another gear. They were committing the double block to her try to slow her down. It didn't matter… Sami [Blaze] played well for her first time out there. She handled us barking at her."
- "I'm hoping we can dig a few more balls tomorrow. But they did a nice job of going away from Sami and Amanda Love."
--- Head Coach James Finley
VCU continues play at the Ball State Active Ankle Challenge at Worthen Arena. The Rams will meet host Ball State at 11 a.m. (EST), then return to play Gardner-Weber at 4:30 p.m.