Hometown: Springfield, Va.
Previous School: Robert E. Lee (Tennessee)
Club Team: Virginia Elite
Just the Facts
Full name: Amanda Raquel Friday
Born: July 12, 1990
Birthplace: Arlington, Va.
Parents: Reina and Jeff Friday
Siblings: Sister, Jimmie Lee (24).
Major: Sport leadership (Master’s)
High school coach: Tom Lowery
At Tennessee (2008-2010)
- Appeared in 122 matches in three seasons in Knoxville and recorded 192 digs.
- Enjoyed her best collegiate season as a junior in 2010 when she dug 122 balls and averaged 1.98 digs per set in 28 matches.
- Helped the Volunteers to a 25-7 record and an appearance in the second round of the NCAA Tournament in 2010. Tennessee finished the year ranked 22nd in the AVCA Coaches Poll.
- Provided a career-high 13 digs in a season-opening win over Xavier (Aug. 27, 2010).
- Dug 10 balls in 3-0 upset of No. 13 Florida State (Sept. 4, 2010).
- Had 10 digs and a service ace against No. 3 Florida (Sept. 19, 2010).
- Played four years of volleyball at Robert E. Lee High School.
- Earned Most Valuable Player honors for the Patriot District during her senior season.
- Also claimed all-region and set career records for both digs and aces, as well as the single-match digs standard.
- Led the Lady Lancers to district championships in both her sophomore and junior years.
- Picked up first-team all-district, honorable mention all-region and all-region all-tournament team accolades both seasons.
- Won an SEC Community Service Award during her junior season at Tennessee.
Getting to know Amanda Friday
- Graduated from Tennessee in three years. Is pursing her Master’s degree in sport leadership from VCU’s Center for Sport Leadership.
- Also played three years of softball in high school.
- Earned scholar athlete status with a GPA over 3.5 all four years of her high school career.
- Participated in both National Honor Society and Spanish Honor Society.