ECAC/IC4A Track & Field Championships
Location: Princeton, N.J.
Team Scores: 1) Albany 67, 2) Princeton 54, 3) Towson 53, 4) VCU 52
The short story: Coming off of their Atlantic 10 Conference title, the Rams left their mark at the ECAC/IC4A Championships over the weekend. With help from a first place finish in the 4x400 relay VCU took fourth overall at the meet among 44 schools.
THE STARTING LINE
- Candice James, Kara Lyles, Taylor Watkins, and Kayla Smith made up the first place-finishing relay team. Their time was 3:39.24, which was just enough to edge second place George Mason.
- Also earning a first overall finish was senior Taylor McCormick in the triple jump. The school record holder recorded an 11.79m mark. Coming in at sixth in the event freshman Aliyah Newman with an 11.66m mark.
- Kayla Smith put on a show in the women's 400m, placing second in a field of 17. 54.98 was the sophomore's time.
- VCU impressed in the 400 hurdles with two placing in the top five. Sophomore Kara Lyles took the second overall spot with a 1:00.12, while senior De'Nisha Smith took the fourth spot. Placing 10th was junior Ann Sheehy.
- Sophomore Makayla McGowan grabbed a fourth place finish in the women's shot put with her 14.09m mark. Meanwhile in discus, Denise O'Rourke laid claim to the sixth spot with her 42.77m mark.
- Watkins and James came in side-by-side in the 200 meter. The juniors placed ninth and 10th, respectively.