Atlantic 10 Conference Championships
Location: Fairfax, Va. (George Mason Stadium)
Team Scoring (Through 6 of 22 events): Dayton 57, George Mason 33, Davidson 27.5, Rhode Island 27, La Salle 23, Duquesne 15, UMass 14.5, VCU 10, Saint Louis 9, Fordham 7, Richmond 5, Saint Joseph 4, George Washington 2
THE STARTING LINE
- Senior De'Nisha Smith erupted for a career-best mark to place second in the long jump Saturday at the A-10 Championships. The Richmond native leaped 5.82 meters to place second only to La Salle's Jessica Bryant. Smith's mark is a personal-best by .05 meters.
- Sophomore Samantha Yankson also scored for VCU Saturday, tossing the hammer 48.10 meters (157'10'').
- VCU, which is traditionally strong in the sprint events, set the stage for an interesting Sunday.
- In the 100-meter hurdles, both Smith and junior LaClare Beres advanced to the final
- In a the 400, a trio of underclassmen will represent VCU on Sunday. Juniors Taylor Watkins and Candice James, as well as sophomore Kayla Smith all posted qualifying marks Saturday.
- VCU looked dominant in the preliminaries of the 400 hurdles. Senior Olivia Coopwood (1:01.04), junior Ann Sheehy (1:01.23) and Kara Lyles (1:01.59) placed 1-2-3, respectively Saturday.
- Others advancing to Sunday's finals include Alexis Willis (100), Latrice Morris (100), Ashley Brown (800), Watkins (200) and James (200).
VCU will be well represented when finals kick off on the track Sunday.