Meet: Boston University Last Chance Meet
Location: BU Indoor Track & Tennis Center – Boston, Mass.
Results: Click Here
The Short Story: Junior Kiara Porter helped the VCU track & field program finish a strong indoor season by extending it a few more weeks, locking up a spot at the 2014 NCAA Indoor Championships in two weeks. Porter set a school record in the 400m with a time of 52.50, good for eighth-best in the country this year. She was also a part of the 4x400 meter relay team, joined by Niaimani Aduma, Jazmine Wright, and Qualitra Brown, which broke the school record in the event.
- The Rams took a small squad up to the BU Last Chance Meet with one mission in mind… Improve.
- Porter led the way with her berth in the NCAA Indoor Championships. She needed a PR and a time of at least 52.81 or better to secure the berth, she blistered both of those times, crossing the line in 52.50, two seconds better than her nearest competitors.
- Freshman Imoni Anderson set a PR in the 400m as well with a time of 57.55, which moved her from 10th in VCU history to sixth.
- Sophomore Jessica Ewing finished third in the 200m with a PR of 24.48. She finished her sophomore year ranked third all-time in VCU history, behind two NCAA qualifiers, Porter and Quina Fortune.
- Ewing was followed closely in the event by junior Nicole Grasty, who clocked in at 25.34, good for sixth overall.
- The 4x400 relay posted the best time of the year, clocking in at a school-record breaking time of 3:43.46, besting the only record by nearly two seconds.
- The only male athlete that made the trip for the Black & Gold was freshman Joe Phillips-Mason. He took home seventh place in the shot put with a PR of 46' 6 ¾". He is now eighth all-time in the shot put and weight throw after just his debut season at VCU.
- "We had a very strong finish to the indoor regular season today and extended our indoor season into the NCAA post season for the first time in nine year. Kiara gave the performance of her career today to qualify in the eighth position and help her teammates set a school record in the 4x4. We are very proud of all our athletes who came up here and put down their best efforts to give us some more momentum heading into the outdoor season in a couple of weeks and put a great cap on top of what has been one of our strongest indoor seasons to date. " – Head Coach Jon Riley