THE BASICS: VCU had a strong showing at the two-day Vanderbilt Invitational over the weekend. The women's track and field program saw 12 athletes set personal records for themselves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams had five strong performances in the 100-meter race. Finishing in sixth place was senior Dionna Hayes, who ran a 11.91 seconds. Freshman Verna Hilaire-Lee continued her strong freshman campaign with personal record time of 12.30 seconds, placing 11th. Sophomore Nicole Grasty ran 12.32 second finishing in 12th place. Classmate Alexis Stroman ran a season-best time of 12.39 seconds finishing in 13th, while freshman Carina Peter placed 14th, posting a personal-best time of 12.42 seconds.
- VCU had four top 10 finishers in the 200-meter race. Leading the way was sophomore Kiara Porter, who ran a school record time of 23.28 seconds, finishing second. Hayes finished seventh with a season-best time of 24.52 seconds, while Grasty placed ninth with a season-best time of 24.63 seconds. Hilaire-Lee broke her personal record for the second week in a row with a time of 26.67 seconds, placing 10th.
- Porter continued her strong weekend by setting a personal record in the 400-meter race. She won the race with a time of 53.11 seconds. The time is the best in the Atlantic 10 this season and ranks 10th-best in the East Region. Junior Amethyst Polk also posted a personal record with a time of 56.92 seconds, finishing in eighth place.
- In the 800-meter, freshman Brianna Krumholz placed 11th with a personal record time of 2:15.55.
- The Rams had one top 10 finisher in the 100-meter hurdles. Stroman ran a time of 14.79 seconds, placing 10th.
- Junior Erin Geragthy placed 24th out of 49 runners in the 1500-meter race with a time of 4:53.13
- The Rams' 4x100-meter relay team finished second in the race. The team of Hayes, Porter, Stroman, and Grasty ran a season-best time of 45.75 seconds.
- VCU's 4x400-meter relay team of Aduma, Grasty, Porter and Polk picked up the victory in the race, while setting the school record and a season-best time of 3:41.90.
- Peter set an outdoor personal record of 11.60-meters, placing ninth in the triple jump.
- In the shot put, junior Jaleesa Williams tossed an outdoor personal record throw of 13.93-meters, placing seventh. Her sister, Jessica Williams, finished in ninth with a throw of 13.05-meters.
- The Williams sisters also placed in the top 10 in the discus and hammer throw. Jessica set a personal record 47.24-meters, finishing third in the discus, while Jaleesa recorded a toss of 38.12-meters, placing 10th. In the hammer throw, Jaleesa placed second with a personal record toss of 51.63-meters, while Jessica finished ninth with a personal record throw of 43.73-meters.
- Freshman Briana Ratchford finished third in the javelin throw with a toss of 35.73-meters.
VCU concludes the regular season at the Penn Relays next weekend, April 25-26. The Atlantic 10 Championships are set for May 4-5 at Charlotte in Charlotte, N.C.