BOTH DISCUS RECORDS TAKEN DOWN ON DAY ONE OF FLORIDA RELAYS
Event: Florida Relays - Gainesville, Fla.
The Short Story: Senior Frank Afriyie and redshirt junior Jaleesa Williams highlighted VCU's first day at the prestigious Florida Relays. Both throwers took down the school record in the discus marking the first time in school history that the Rams have set a school record in the same event on both the men's and women's side. Sophomore Kiara Porter had two great showings in the 200-meter and 400-meter, while senior Dionna Hayes ran a season best in the 100-meter.
How It Happened
- Williams joined her sister Jessica as the first two Rams to perform at the event, both logging top-11 marks in the discus. Jaleesa finished second with a top throw of 49.40 meters (162' 1"), while Jessica was 11th with a toss of 43.89 meters (144').
- Just over an hour later, Porter hit the track and blistered her way to a time of 53.41, which is currently the eighth-best 400-meter time in the East Region this spring.
- Hayes took the track just a short while after Porter and posted her best time of the year in the 100m, clocking in at 11.89, the 25th-best time by a collegian on the day.
- Afriyie kept things going strong for the Black & Gold when he stepped into the circle and unleashed a school-record breaking discus throw of 50.69 meters (166' 4"). Sophomore Brandon Ruffin finished seventh in the event with a toss of 49.74 meters (163' 2").
- Porter stepped back on the track to wrap up VCU's strong first day with a personal record in the 200-meter with a time of 23.59.
What They're Saying
Head Coach Jon Riley
- " Jaleesa and Frank both had some of their best days ever of practice this week and it showed in their performances today. To break both discus marks on the same day is an unexpected achievement and we look forward to seeing how much further we can go with continued focus in this area."
- "Kiara had an awesome debut in the 400m. She began her outdoor 400m campaign last year at the Florida Relays with a 53.98 and she opened this season at the Florida Relays with 53.41. She game back 3 hours later to run a personal record in the 200m with a time of 23.59. I'm confident those times will get her into the East Regional Championships. The focus is to continue to improve."
- "Dionna had a season best in the 100m. She is coming into form and I think she's going to have a good year for us."
- "Overall, we had a pretty good first day of running and throwing. We're all looking forward to an even better second day."