MEET: Captain's Invitational & Combined Events – Newport News, Va.
THE BASICS: The VCU Men's and Women's Track and Field team competed in the Captain's Invitational & Combined Events at the Freeman Center on the campus of Christopher Newport University this weekend. The Rams had a strong showing, with sophomore Evan Morton (pictured right) setting the school record and winning the heptathlon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In his first time competing in the heptathlon, Morton won the event this weekend. The Fredericksburg, Va. native set the school record with 4429 points. Morton finished in the top five of all but one event in the heptathlon.
- Fighting off a nagging hamstring injury, freshman Xavier Waller also competed in his first heptathlon. He tied for first in the high jump and placed 10th overall in the event with 3629 points.
- Senior Corey Scott placed third in the 1000m race. Scott ran a time of 2:34.46. Sophomore Berham McDowell finished fifth with a time of 2:40.68.
- In the 5000m, senior Brenden Leavitt won the event with a time of 14.38.42. Sophomore Sam Hush placed fifth with a time of 15:59.88 and classmate Matt Earman placed eighth with a time of 17:24.86.
- On the women's side, junior Nneka Ogwu placed fourth in pentathlon. She set a new a personal record with 3019 points.
- Also in the pentathlon, sophomore Amani Harper finished in eighth place. Harper also set a new personal record with 2732 points.
- Junior Justine Dutton tied her personal-best jump in the pole vault with a 3.45m jump. She finished in third place in the event.
- In the 1000m race, freshman Brianna Krumholz placed fifth with a personal-best time of 3:09.15.
- Junior Erin Geragthy placed third in the mile run with a time of 5:33.36.
- In the shot put, junior Jessica Williams placed third with a throw of 14.13m. Freshmen Precious Nwala (13.27m) and Jada Roberts (12.52m) placed seventh and ninth, respectively.
"I'm very proud of how the multi-event athletes performed this weekend. They all pushed themselves in each individual event and it shows in the final results."
-Assistant Track and Field Coach Allyson Thomas
WHAT'S AHEAD: Next weekend, the Rams will have athletes compete in both the Penn State Invitational (Jan. 25-26) and the George Mason Patriot Games (Jan. 26).