RAMS TAKE SECOND STRAIGHT ATLANTIC 10 TITLE WITH 4-0 DEFEAT OF ST. LOUIS
- Score: #1 VCU 4, #2 St. Louis 0
- Records: VCU (12-9), St. Louis (17-5)
- Location: Lindner Family Tennis Center – Mason, Ohio
- Photos: Click Here
- The Short Story: The VCU women's tennis team unleashed a dominating performance en route to its second straight Atlantic 10 Conference Championship with a 4-0 defeat of second-seeded St. Louis. The Rams have not lost a single point in their two years in the Atlantic 10 Tournament. It is VCU's sixth overall conference title and fourth in the past five seasons. The Rams will make their 15th NCAA Tournament appearance after earning the league's automatic bid.
- Sophomore Olga Barscheuskaya and senior Daria Yakauleva teamed up to dominate at #1 doubles, 8-1. Junior Salome Kvitashvili and sophomore Yukako Noi followed close behind with an 8-2 win of their own at #2 doubles to clinch the doubles point for the Black & Gold and put VCU up 1-0.
- Barscheuskaya continued her strong play onto the singles court with a 6-0, 6-0 win over SLU's Maria Toro Moreno at #5 singles.
- Freshman Ludivine Burguiere, who went 3-0 on the weekend, brought the Rams within one point of the title with a 6-1, 6-2 win at #6 singles.
- Kvitashvili delivered the final blow with a 6-1, 6-2 win over SLU's Brooke Urzendowski at #4 singles to seize the trophy.
#1 VCU def. #2 Saint Louis, 4-0
Cindy Chala (VCU) vs. Aspen Cervin (SLU), 6-3, 1-4 DNF
Yukako Noi (VCU) vs. Stephanie Hollis (SLU), 6-4, 3-0 DNF
Daria Yakauleva (VCU) vs. Natalia Yacaman (SLU), 6-3, 3-1 DNF
Salome Kvitashvili (VCU) def. Brooke Urzendowski (SLU), 6-1, 6-2
Olga Barscheuskaya (VCU) def. Maria Toro Moreno (SLU), 6-0, 6-0
Ludivine Burguiere (VCU) def. Madison Cook (SLU), 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: #5, #6, #4
Barscheuskaya/Yakauleva (VCU) def. Hollis/Urzendowski (SLU), 8-1
Kvitashvili /Noi (VCU) def. Cervin/Cook (SLU), 8-2
Chala/Burguiere (VCU) vs. Toro Moreno/Yacaman (SLU), 4-2 DNF
Order of finish: #1, #2
- The Rams will learn their NCAA matchup in the 64-team field on Tuesday, April 29 at 5:30 p.m. on the NCAA Selection, which can be viewed on NCAA.com.