RAMS WRAP UP SPRING BREAK WITH 5-2 WIN AT FURMAN
GREENVILLE, S.C. – It's not how you start, it's how you finish.
That statement applies to the Virginia Commonwealth University women's tennis team's recent spring break as the Rams wrapped up a tough week with a 5-2 defeat of the Paladins of Furman University on Saturday afternoon.
With the win, VCU ends a two-game losing skid and improves their overall record to 15-3 this spring.
"Again, we didn't play our best tennis today, but we were able to battle enough to take home the win," Associate Head Coach Yana Carollo said. "I think we're all looking forward to back to Richmond and getting to work on the practice courts."
All year long, the Rams have dominated the doubles competition and Saturday was no different. Sophomore Josefin Hjertquist and junior Ana Bara led a Black & Gold doubles sweep with a decisive 8-3 victory at the second doubles spot.
Furman answered with a win at the top singles position, but the Rams reeled off four straight singles victories to secure the 15th trip to the win column this season for VCU.
VCU returns to the court next Saturday when they host the Panthers of Georgia State in a conference match. First serve at Thalhimer Tennis Center is set for 10 a.m.
#30 VCU 5, Furman 2
1) #86 Monica Arguello (FUR) def. Hjertquist, 6-2, 6-2
2) Yergina def. Lauren Kline (FUR), 6-3, 6-1
3) Margaret Boyette (FUR) def. Al. Bara, 1-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-6)
4) Yakavleva def. Amanda Murray (FUR), 6-2, 6-0
5) Terteac def. Michelle Stanford (FUR), 6-2, 6-1
6) Fernandez def. Jennifer Betts (FUR), 6-4, 6-4
1) Yergina/Al. Bara def. Boyette/Kline (FUR), 8-7 (1)
2) An. Bara/Hjertquist def. Murray/Stanford (FUR), 8-3
3) Yakavleva/Pietzuch def. Arguello/Betts (FUR), 8-6