RICHMOND, Va. – On Sunday, the weather around Richmond was about as beautiful as the recent play of the Virginia Commonwealth University women's tennis team.
The Rams rolled to their fifth straight victory, 7-0, over UMBC, improving their overall record to 10-1 on the year and 30-6 over the past two seasons.
It was also the Black & Gold's 20th consecutive home win.
It was a total team effort for VCU with five of the six singles victories coming in straight sets and no doubles pair giving up more than four points.
The match started with three quick doubles victories for the Black & Gold before sophomore Josefin Hjertquist got thing started on the singles side with an easy 6-2, 6-0 win at the second singles position.
The Rams return to action next Saturday when South Florida visits Thalhimer Tennis Center for a 10 a.m. match.
VCU 7, UMBC 0
1. Yergina/Al. Bara d. Jackman/Gragera-Cano, 8-0
2. Hjertquist/An. Bara d. Mannix/Hadji, 8-2
3. Yakavelva/Pietzuch d. Danielsson/Stange-Jonsson, 8-4
1. Yergina d. Jackman, 6-2, 6-1
2. Hjertquist d. Gragera-Cano, 6-2, 6-0
3. Ana Bara d. Berghaus, 6-3, 5-7, 10-4
4. Alex Bara d. Danielsson, 6-2, 6-3
5. Terteac d. Mannix, 6-2, 6-1
6. Pietzuch d. Stange-Jonsson, 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 2,5,1,4,3,6