Final Score: George Mason 1, VCU 0
Location: George Mason Stadium (Fairfax, Va.)
Records: VCU 6-4-3 (2-2-2 A-10), George Mason 6-8-1 (3-2-1 A-10)
The Short Story: The VCU Rams hit the road to George Mason on Sunday afternoon, looking to make it two wins in as many games. Things didn't materialize in the Rams' favor, as they were defeated by the Patriots by a final score of 1-0.
- Four Rams would finish the game with two shots apiece, while seven different players recorded shots.
- Goalkeeper Audrey Sanderson made five saves in the match.
- VCU outshot George Mason 11-8 overall, holding a 7-3 advantage in the second half.
- The Black & Gold had nine corner kicks, with five coming in the second half to George Mason's one.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Early chances were slim for both sides early, as defense was the name of the game early on. The Rams got on the shot counter in the 20th minute with a header wide of the net by Lyndsey Gutzmer.
- Amanda Tredway put the first shot on net in the 27th minute, as it was saved by George Mason.
- VCU added a great chance late in the first half, as Susanna Friedrichs played a long ball far post for Samantha Jerabek. Jerabek would get a head on the ball, but would be wide of the net.
- With the score 0-0 after 45, VCU came out in control with a pair of corner kick opportunities and a pair of shots over the first seven minutes of the second half.
- However, George Mason would snag a goal in the 55th minute, as Erin Mitchell finished off a cross from Nia Elbeck to give the Patriots a 1-0 lead.
- The Black & Gold would put up three standout efforts to score over the final 30 minutes of play, with Gutzmer getting a shot off that was going top corner but was saved, a post hit from Tredway, and a tough bouncing ball shot from inside the 18 from Julia Suarez that would get saved.
- The defense for the Rams held up down the stretch but couldn't make the magic happen up front, giving the Patriots the 1-0 victory.
VCU returns to the pitch this Thursday evening, Oct. 12 when they travel across town to take on the Richmond Spiders. Kickoff for that game is set for 7:30 p.m.