Final Score: George Mason 4, VCU 1
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 7-8-1 (3-4-0 A-10), George Mason 11-5-0 (5-2-0 A-10)
The Short Story: It was a tough night on the pitch for the VCU Rams Thursday night, as the George Mason Patriots would strike for three first half goals, ultimately taking a 4-1 win over 90 minutes. Tori Burress would find the back of the net for the lone VCU score on what was Senior Night for the Black & Gold.
- Burress connected with her second goal of the season, which was assisted by Julia Suarez.
- VCU led the way in shots with 17, while Mason made the best of their opportunities (14) with more on net (9-to-7).
- The Rams had six opportunities from corner kicks, while George Mason had four on the match.
- Goaltender Ryan Jones made five saves between the pipes for VCU in the loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams put some pressure on early with shots from Susanna Friedrichs and Megan Dell, but could not get anything else going.
- George Mason would strike first and often in the first half, with the first goal coming in the 16th minute. A corner kick by Kaila Williams would go through the hands of goalie Ryan Jones to put the Patriots up 1-0.
- The same would happen on a shot two minutes later in the 18th minute, as Erin Mitchell would blast a rocket at Jones, who couldn't handle the shot and would see the ball go into the net for the Patriots second goal of the night.
- Mason would grab another goal in the 32nd minute, as Emily Littell would finish a cross from the endline by Nia Elbeck off from point blank range to put the Patriots up 3-0, which would be the halftime score after 45 minutes.
- VCU almost broke through in the 62nd minute, as a header by Amanda Tredway would track Kirsten Glad back into the net, but the ball remained in front of the end line. Maddi Santo would follow up the play but to no avail.
- However, it didn't make but one minute later until Burress would notch her second goal of the season in the 63rd minute, as a slick pass from Julia Suarez got into the six where Burress finished it off from point blank range. The goal would put the score to 3-1.
- The Black and Gold would keep pressure up in the offensive end with multiple opportunities, most notably from Kelly Graves, but could not find another score at 3-1.
- Erin Mitchell would grab her second goal of the night for the Patriots in the 88th minute, as her shot would finish high near post over the keeper to give George Mason a 4-1 lead, which would be the final score on the night.
VCU will return to action this Sunday, October 23 when the Rams hit New England with a matchup against UMass. The match will kick off at approximately 1 p.m.