Final Score: George Washington 1, VCU 0 (Overtime)
Location: Mount Vernon Athletic Complex (Washington, D.C.)
Records: VCU 6-7-1 (2-3-0 A-10), George Washington 9-4-1 (3-1-1 A-10)
The Short Story: It would take 96 minutes to find out an ending to Thursday afternoon's match between the VCU Rams and George Washington Colonials. A rebound and a few awkward bounces would land the ball in the back of the net for the Colonials in overtime, as the score would drop the VCU Rams by a final of 1-0.
- Kelly Graves led the way with four shots on the day, with two on net. Julia Suarez would also connect with two shots on net on the contest as well.
- Each team gathered 11 shots on the contest, and also collected five shots on net apiece.
- Only two fouls would be recorded on the day, both belonging to the Colonials. The Rams would not be whistled for any infractions in the contest.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams came out swinging with a corner kick in the fifth minute, but could not find anyone on the other end of the attempt.
- Audrey Sanderson made a key save in the 28th minute, as run along the left side by the Colonials broke the defense of the Rams. However, Sanderson was able to get a hand on the shot from about seven yards out, keeping the score at 0-0.
- A solid scoring opportunity came from Julia Suarez in the 33rd minute, as her shot required a tough save by George Washington keeper Miranda Horn. That led to a corner with a high header from Megan Dell.
- Suarez would get another solid shot with five minutes remaining in the half. The match would stay 0-0 through the first 45 minutes of play.
- With play at the midfield for a good portion of the second half, the Rams saw a solid chance from Amanda Tredway in the 69th minute.
- VCU had the offensive advantage from the 80th minute on, with multiple offensive looks inside or near the 18-yard box. However through 90 minutes, the score still stood at 0-0.
- It would be six minutes into the first overtime, as George Washington would get the game-winner from Megan McCormick, her first of the season. The goal would end the game, and give George Washington the 1-0 win.
VCU will return to action this Sunday, October 16 when they return home to Richmond and Sports Backers Stadium to take on the La Salle Explorers. Kickoff is scheduled for 2 p.m.