Final Score: VCU 1, Dayton 0
Location: Baujan Field (Dayton, Ohio)
Records: VCU 6-6-1 (2-2-0 A-10), Dayton 3-7-2 (1-2-1 A-10)
The Short Story: The VCU Rams collected their second Atlantic-10 Conference victory on Sunday afternoon, as thanks to Audrey Sanderson keeping the ball out of the net and a well-timed goal by Kelly Graves. The Black and Gold would defeat the Dayton Flyers on the road by a final score of 1-0.
- The Flyers took 19 total shots on the day, with 11 shots on goal. The Rams managed five total shots with two on goal, one of which went in.
- Maddi Santo became the second Ram this season to climb into double-digit points, now sitting at 10 this year (Julia Suarez; 13).
- Goalkeeper Audrey Sanderson notched her first shutout of the season, making 11 saves on the day in the full 90 minutes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams got two shots up in the first 20 minutes of play, with Maddi Santo with the best chance with a shot going high of the net.
- Two headers by Sarah Gibson and Ingrid Brouwer would be as close as VCU would get to opportunities by the end of the first half, keeping things tied 0-0 after the first 45 minutes.
- Kelly Graves broke up the scoreless tie in the 47th minute, as she finished off a cross from Maddi Santo right in front of the net for her second goal of the season. The score would give VCU a 1-0 lead going forward.
- The Flyers and Rams traded punches on the offensive end with corner kick opportunities through the 76th minute.
- Dayton continued to press with shots as the 90th minute approached, but the Black and Gold held strong defensively with key plays down the stretch, highlighted by a defensive save from Tori Burress.
- In the 86th minute, Alexis Kiehl smacked a shot off of the crossbar for Dayton, which would have tied the game. That would be the final opportunity for the Flyers as the Rams held on for the 1-0 victory.
VCU will return to action this Thursday, October 13 when they travel north to our nation's capital to face the George Washington Colonials. Kickoff between the two squads will be at 3:30 p.m.