Final Score: Fordham 1, VCU 0
Location: Jack Coffey Field (Bronx, N.Y.)
Records: VCU 5-6-1 (1-2-0 A-10), Fordham 6-3-3 (1-0-2 A-10)
The Short Story: After battling scores for nearly 86 minutes, the VCU Rams and Fordham Rams found themselves in a chess match destined for extra time. However, Fordham would get a goal in the 86th minute from Lane Cronin to sink VCU by a score of 1-0.
- Finishing the match without a goal, VCU had its streak of five straight games without being shutout snapped.
- Fordham finished with the shot advantage, 9-5, while also putting more shots on net, 5-3.
- Both Kelly Graves and Julia Suarez took two shots apiece, while Megan Dell chipped in with an opportunity as well.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams got two shots from Graves in the first half, and resulted in the only offensive opportunities in the first 45 minutes. The game would be scoreless heading into halftime.
- As time winded down before the clock hit 45 minutes, VCU had a corner kick opportunity, but could not find a result from it.
- In the 53rd minute, Suarez had a solid look at the net, but her shot was denied by Fordham goalkeeper Megan Fitzgerald.
- Dell would have a chance to score in the 68th minute, as she put a shot on net. Fitzgerald would once again come up with a save, denying the Rams of a score.
- As the game reached the 86th minute, Fordham would get on the board with a goal, as Cronin notched her second goal of the season. She would connect from 12 yards out, putting the ball off the post and in behind Audrey Sanderson for the 1-0 lead that would hold up for the final.
VCU will return to action this Sunday, October 9 when they travel to Ohio to take on the Dayton Flyers. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.