Final Score: Duquesne 3, VCU 1
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 5-5-1 (1-1-0 A-10), Duquesne 6-3-2 (2-0-0 A-10)

The Short Story: Alyssa Tallent notched her first career collegiate goal on Sunday afternoon to give the VCU Rams a 1-0 lead in the first half. However, it would be three unanswered goals by the Duquesne Dukes in the second half that would give the Black and Gold their first conference loss, 3-1.



  • Despite the score, both teams played similar games offensively. VCU edged the Dukes 18-17 in total shots, and also just slightly in shots on goal 11-10.
  • It would be a hectic day for goalkeepers, as Audrey Sanderson made seven saves on 10 shots on goal. Duquesne's Kyra Murphy would make 10 saves on 11 shots on goal.
  • Tallent's goal would also be her first collegiate points of her career. She becomes the 10th different Ram to score this season.


  • The Rams started things strong in the first half, with a great opportunity just minutes in. Tori Burress sent a through pass in for Megan Dell into the 18. Dell would take a shot that would get saved by Dukes goalkeeper Kyra Murphy and keep the score 0-0 early. 
  • Duquesne almost notched the first score of the game in the 18th minute, as it required a sprawling save to the top of her reach to punch a ball high and off the crossbar. It would stay out of the net, and keep things scoreless.
  • VCU would break through in the 32nd minute, as Tallent would wind up and strike a left footed shot inside the right post from the middle of the 18- yard box. Her score would give the Black and Gold a 1-0 lead.
  • That score would stick through halftime, but not very long into the second half. Duquesne would strike for an equalizer in the 47th minute, as Malea Fabean would head a ball from six yards out on a cross to even things up at 1-1.
  • It didn't take long for the Dukes to also gain the game-winner, as Linnea Faccenda would get a one-timer from inside six yards on a run in toward the net. The score would give Duquesne a 2-1 lead in the 51st minute.
  • The Rams would continue putting on the pressure, with nothing to show for it in the second. They would take seven shots before Duqesne would strike again.
  • The Dukes would find their third and final goal in the 80th minute, as Italia Biondi finished off a ball right on the end line, putting Duquesne ahead 3-1. From there, the score would stand through the 90th minute, giving the Dukes the victory.



VCU will return to action this Thursday, October 6 when they travel to the Bronx, N.Y. to take on the Fordham Rams. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. between the two squads in VCU's third A-10 battle of the season.