- Score: VCU 3, Marshall 3 (2 OTs)
- Records: VCU (0-1-1), Marshall (0-1-1)
- Location: Veterans Memorial Soccer Complex – Huntington, W. Va.
- The Short Story: Senior Maren Johansen netted her first career hat trick to lead the VCU women's soccer team to a 3-3 tie at Marshall on Sunday afternoon. Johansen entered the game with 11 career goals, but had never scored more than one goal in a game.
How It Happened
- Johansen got the scoring started early, converting a penalty kick 41 seconds into the game to give the Black & Gold a quick 1-0 lead.
- Marshall responded with two goals in a span of 1:46 to grab a 2-1 lead 15 minutes into the game.
- Johansen would strike again in the 27th minute, controlling a long pass from Tori Burress and putting into the back of the net to even the game at 2-2.
- Less than seven minutes later, Marshall's Kristine Culicerto scored her second goal of the afternoon to send the Thundering Herd into the half with a 3-2 lead.
- Less than 10 minutes into the second half, Johansen got past a defender in the box and fired a shot into the back of the net for her first career hat trick and tied the game at 3-3.
- Both teams would have chances in the games final 55 minutes, but neither could convert, resulting in the 3-3 tie.
- "Maren came into her own today when we needed her the most. We have been asking her to rise to the occasion on game days and today we saw that come to fruition. She is extremely dangerous offensively when she's confident and willing to take players on. We are proud of her efforts and hope this is just the start of more to come for her." - Head Coach Lindsey Vanderspiegel
- "Today was a hard fought tie on an extremely hot and humid day against a solid Marshall team. It wasn't the prettiest of soccer at times but we never stopped fighting and for that we are proud of our team. We still have a bit to sort out moving forward, but today was a big step in the right direction." - Head Coach Lindsey Vanderspiegel
- VCU is back in action on Friday night as they travel down I-64 to take on rival and former CAA foe, Old Dominion. Game time in Norfolk is set for 7 p.m.