FINAL: No. 13 Georgetown 4, VCU 0 (Washington, D.C.)
RECORDS: No. 13 Georgetown (4-0), VCU (1-3)
VCU STARTERS: #18 Kruse (GK), #6 Ritter, #7 Kunz, #8 Conrad, #9 Wojcik, #10 Cressy, #12 Cyphers, #19 Ernest, #32 Boyer, #33 Johansen, #37 Moik
GEORGETOWN STARTERS: #1 Newins (GK), #3 Menges, #4 Brenn, #7 Adams, #8 Ayotte, #10 Morgan, #11 Clinton, #19 Shaffer, #20 St. Martin, #21 Kroening, #24 Dinn
- No. 13 Georgetown handed VCU a 4-0 setback Sunday afternoon in Washington, D.C.
- The Hoyas marked the Rams' third ranked opponent in their first four games. VCU opened the season against No. 8 Virginia and followed with preseason consensus No. 1 North Carolina
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- VCU was on the attack early as Georgetown goalkeeper Emma Newins made a save on a shot off the foot of senior Courtney Conrad in just the second minute, before sophomore Sharon Wojcik's offering sailed high less than a minute later.
- Junior Maren Johansen, sophomore Natalie Moik and Wojcik (two) also had looks in the first 19 minutes of the match as the Rams held an early 5-2 advantage in shots.
- Georgetown eventually broke the scoreless tie in the 31st minute when Vanessa Skrumbis tapped in a shot in front of the net after a cross from the far side, which gave the Hoyas a 1-0 lead. Skrumbis had another look three minutes later but her shot was blocked.
- Skrumbis was at it again just before intermission as she pushed Georgetown's lead to 2-0 in the 44th minute with a header from the center of the box.
- VCU goalkeeper Emma Kruse registered two of her three first-half saves in the final five minutes of the opening stanza.
- Georgetown took a 3-0 lead in the 47th minute on a shot from Audra Ayotte from about 16 yards out.
- Conrad fired a shot in the 54th minute but it sailed wide of the net.
- Kaitlin Brenn added to the Hoyas' lead in the 66th minute when she finished a blast from 12 yards away after a feed from Ayotte from the top of the box.
- Junior Alex Gogolin tried to put the Rams on the board in the 77th minute but her attempt was blocked.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Conrad and Wojcik fired a team-high two shots apiece for VCU.
- Kruse finished with six saves.
- The Rams held Georgetown to just two shots in the first 27 minutes; however, the Hoyas finished with a 17-7 advantage in shots.
- Georgetown held a narrow 6-5 edge in corner kicks.
WHAT'S AHEAD: VCU returns to action next weekend at the College of Charleston Tournament. The Rams open play Friday, Sept. 6 against the host Cougars at 7:30 p.m. before facing Coastal Carolina on Sept. 8 at Noon. VCU's home opener is set for Sept. 13 against Maine.