Carden Posts Career-High 12 Saves, VCU battles Dayton to 1-1 Draw in Regular Season Finale
FINAL: VCU 1, Dayton 1 – 2OT (Dayton, Ohio)
VCU STARTERS: #89 Carden (GK), #7 Kunz, #8 Conrad, #9 Granados, #10 Cressy, #12 Edgcomb, #15 Moore, #20 Acosta, #23 Hovanesian, #32 Boyer, #33 Johansen
DAYTON STARTERS: #99 Melchert (GK), #3 Williams, #6 Mallon, #8 Campbell, #9 Garcia, #11 Klinefelter, #12 Libertin, #18 Smigel, #19 Senoyuit, #25 Scharer, #30 Emery
THE BASICS: Sophomore Cristin Granados gave VCU a 1-0 lead in the 13th minute but Dayton scored the equalizer with three minutes left in regulation and the Rams battled the Flyers to a 1-1 draw Sunday afternoon. VCU senior goalkeeper Kristin Carden registered a career-high 12 saves.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- VCU (11-4-4, 6-2-1 A-10) got on the board first in just the 13th minute when Granados scored her sixth goal of the season. Junior Taryn Cressy sent a cross into the box where classmate Courtney Conrad tapped a header to Granados, who then finished to put the Rams in front 1-0.
- Carden made a pair of saves in the 12th and 15th minutes to keep Dayton (13-4-1, 7-1-1) off the board.
- Flyers goalie Jordin Melchert returned the favor in the 29th and 31st minutes with stops on shots again from Granados and Conrad.
- Carden came up with her third save on a shot off the foot of Colleen Williams in the 47th minute. Williams second offering was blocked less than 30 seconds later before Kelsey Smigel fired back the rebound high.
- Conrad had another look in the 57th minute but Melchert collected her third stop of the game.
- Carden made back-to-back saves on shots from Meghan Scharer and Williams in the 69th and 71st minutes, respectively.
- Junior Brianne Moore's shot in the 75th minute was blocked.
- Dayton's Ashley Campbell and Williams had looks in the 82nd and 83rd minutes but couldn't find the net. Carden then posted her seventh save on another shot by Campbell in the 86th minute.
- The Flyers finally got on board with just over three minutes to play in regulation. Smigel sent a cross into the box where Williams scored her league-leading 17th goal of the season with a header into the far post to knot the game at 1-1.
- Neither team could find the net in both overtime periods. Carden made five more saves in the extra stanzas.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Carden, who registered a career-high 12 saves, faced 35 shots.
- Conrad collected a team high four shots with three on goal, and also added an assist. Meanwhile, Granados fired two shots (both on frame) and scored her sixth goal of the season.
- VCU is 10-2-3 in its last 15 matches (dating back to Sept. 2), outscoring opponents 25-9 during that span.
"It's hard leaving Dayton with a tie today. We were able to go up early and keep the lead until the last minutes of the game. Dayton's late rally to tie makes it fell a little like a loss but we can hold our heads high because Dayton is a great program with a tradition of NCAA appearances. The tie is not how we wanted it to end but we are playing well and feel confident heading to the conference tournament."
-VCU Co-Head Coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak
VCU begins Atlantic 10 tournament play on Thursday, Nov. 1 at Rhode Island. Seeding has not yet to be finalized at this time.