VCU STARTERS: #18 E. Kruse (GK), #5 G. Wilson, #6 B. White, #7 B. Kunz, #8 C. Conrad, #9 C. Granados, #12 C. Edgcomb, #15 B. Moore, #16 L. Hutchinson, #20 W. Acosta, #33 M. Johansen
LONGWOOD STARTERS: #0 K. Byron (GK), #2 K. Pardue, #6 A. Mackey, #7 M. Magee, #8 L. Ottavio, #9 N. Glisson, #16 S. Phillips, #18 N. Massey, #21 C. Walter, #23 K. McDonald, #29 T. Cave
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- VCU fired three shots in the first 18 minutes, including a shot on frame from senior Gabby Wilson less than four minutes into the match.
- The Rams held Longwood's offense at bay for most of the opening period, as the Lancers' first shot didn't come until the 34th minute. It was a quick burst for Longwood, however, as VCU freshman goalkeeper Emma Kruse made her first save on a shot from Bridget Bergquist less than two minutes later.
- VCU had a pair of looks in the closing minutes of the first half, but couldn't find the net. Wilson's shot in the 42nd minute drifted wide left before Longwood goalie Kyra Byron collected her first save off the foot of junior Taryn Cressy a minute later.
- The Black & Gold wasted little time getting on the scoreboard after intermission. Sophomore Maren Johansen served a pass to senior Breiana White in the box. White then headed the ball into the right corner of the net in what proved to be the game-winning goal in the 48th minute.
- Just over 10 minutes later, the Rams were on the attack again. This time, White found junior Courtney Conrad, who beat Byron on the left side of the net for her first goal of the season.
- VCU capped off its 14-minute scoring surge with a goal from junior Bex Kunz in the 58th minute. Kunz, who found herself one-on-one with Byron, launched a shot through the keeper's hands to give the Rams a 3-0 advantage.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- White finished with a goal (7th career) and an assist, including the game-winning score. Conrad and Kunz also found the net for the first time this season.
- Kruse collected a pair of saves, while posting her first career shutout. She also notched her first collegiate victory in goal.
- VCU outshot Longwood 11-10. In addition, the Rams finished with five shots on goal, while the Lancers added three.
- The Black & Gold has outshot opponents 38-19 during the first two games of the season. VCU has also placed 19 shots on goal, while opponents have managed eight thus far.
- The Rams have just one loss in their last 12 contests (dating back to 2011), inluding nine shutouts during that stretch.
"We're happy with the result against a strong Longwood team tonight. The Longwood players worked hard for 90 minutes and fought until the end. I'm proud of how we came out in the second half after a slow start to the match. We came out with an attacking mentality and finished some of our chances. We also had great performances from the players coming off the bench. Overall, it was a positive night for the team and we look forward to going to Tennessee this coming weekend."
-VCU Co-Head Coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak
The Rams return to action Aug. 24-26 when they participate in the Tennessee Lady Vol Classic. VCU opens tournament play against Akron on Friday at 5:30 p.m., before facing host Tennessee on Sunday at 3 p.m.